Exmouth Tourist information set for indoor move
PUBLISHED: 13:56 12 September 2014 | UPDATED: 13:56 12 September 2014
Exmouth’s tourist information ‘summer house’ will continue over the winter - but not in The Strand.
It will be moved to the indoor market.
Between July and last week, almost 5,500 people used the service.
A banner outside the indoor market will advertise the service and store holders have pledged to help out.
Councillor Bill Nash said: “Thank you to all our volunteers and to the Journal.
“Volunteers have done a splendid job, they have been a tower of strength.
“As of tonight, amazingly, the visitors recorded since July 1 were 5,435.
“I don’t think you can get that number of people on The Strand at one time.”
Cllr Steve Wragg said: “One thing is for certain, you can’t use the hut outside during the winter months. There has to be an indoor location.”
Cllr Trevor Cope added: “I have been critical of the expense.
“But I recognise the tremendous work and the only way forward now is to keep it going.
“If we are getting those kinds of numbers interested in what’s going on in Exmouth, we have to continue to supply that service.
“This [winter break] will give us a chance to look at the medium to long term.”
Town councillors discussed the matter at a meeting on Monday.