Exmouth Strand traffic flow changed
PUBLISHED: 11:09 10 August 2010
DELAYED major alterations to the traffic in Rolle Street and the southern end of the Strand began last week.
Drainage problems put back the work until last Wednesday but highways chiefs insist that the £3 million Strand makeover is still on course for completion by November.
Traffic will no longer be able to access the Strand from St Andrew’s Road and signed diversions via Imperial Road and Victoria Road have been erected.
And from Tuesday (August 10), the east and west sides of the Strand will be permanently closed to traffic and Rolle Street opened up to two-way traffic. The new service road along the west side of the Strand will be opened for delivery vehicles only from 5pm to 9am.
A county highways spokesman said: “Drivers and pedestrians are asked to take special care while these changes are being implemented.”
Once the east side of the Strand is closed, work will start on an important underground diversion to BT cables at the junction with Rolle Street and new underground CCTV cables to link into the BT network.
Work will then continue on the new paving and landscaped areas between Intek Communications and Prezzo.
The alterations to the traffic flow will also allow works to be carried out on the new taxi rank at the south end of The Strand.
He added: “On completion of these works, the central area will then be paved and landscaped which is still programmed to be substantially complete by November 2010.”
Town manger Tony Collins said: “The works will inevitably cause some disruption, but every effort will be made to minimise inconvenience to businesses, shoppers and visitors.”
Pedestrian access will be maintained to all premises during all times they are open for business and busines owners will be contacted by site staff before work that directly affects their businesses begins.