Exmouth’s controversial campervan ban to begin next week
- Credit: Archant
A new ban prohibiting campervans from parking overnight on a section of Exmouth seafront will come into force next week.
From Monday (July 2) ‘motor caravans’ will be banned between 8pm and 8am along sections of Imperial Road and Queens Drive (spur road to Orcombe Point).
There will also be a 24-hour restriction on motor caravans along sections of Queens Drive.
Alongside the new measures introduced by Devon County Council, East Devon District Council has also advertised amendments to its off-street parking, which will allow motor caravans to park overnight in three long stay car parks in Exmouth – Imperial Road Recreation Ground, Queens Drive Echelon, and also in Maer Road as soon as its entrance has been upgraded.
The increasing number of motor homes using Exmouth seafront for extended stays had been causing growing concern among residents and the town council in recent years.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Bill Nash chaired a task and finish forum set up by town, district and county councils to deal with the problem.
He said: “I’m delighted with the outcome of this partnership approach, which has seen Exmouth Town Council working together with both East Devon District Council and Devon County Council to find a solution to this tricky problem.
- 1 Gala Week cancelled but summer events planned
- 2 Freemasons step up to help with vaccination roll out
- 3 Third time unlucky as Exmouth man caught with abuse images jailed
- 4 Environmental issues a hot topic in Local Plan consultation
- 5 Shoppers to boost life-changing charities impacted by Covid-19
- 6 Exmouth pharmacy offering Covid-19 vaccine appointments to those in priority groups
- 7 Redwood trees are 'fantastic news for Torbay's Naturally Inspiring environment'
- 8 'We've been overwhelmed by your support'
- 9 Banned customer jailed for 'sucker punch' attack on innocent pub diner
- 10 Speed limit trial will pave the way for safer Devon roads
“We want to improve the seaside experience for both campervan owners along with all visitors and residents.
“We are offering these new arrangements on a trial basis for up to two years to enable us to carefully assess any impact they might have on the town.
“We will then take view from all parties with the plan to improve facilities still further.”
Town mayor and county councillor for Exmouth Jeff Trail added: “Motor homes and campervans are still welcome in Exmouth.
“I see this move as a relocation of the motor homes from one side of the dunes to the opposite side of the road.
“After a trial period of up to two years, should the parking after 8pm be taken up strongly within all designated car parks, I would urge the committee to assess the need for extra services such as electric points and foul waste facilities for users,” added Mr Trail.
Cllr Christine Channon, Devon County councillor for Exmouth and Budleigh Salterton Coastal, said: “We do not want to discourage tourists with campervans from visiting the beautiful town of Exmouth, however through a working partnership of town, district and county councils we hope to have been able to resolve the problem of inappropriate parking of campervans for long periods of time in Queens Drive.”