Exmouth scooter man back home
A PENSIONER who had his mobility scooter stolen and then dumped in a ditch while having his leg amputated in hospital has returned home. Brian Williams, of Rodney Close, returned to his house on Rodney Close last week. The 69-year-old, who suffered from b
A PENSIONER who had his mobility scooter stolen and then dumped in a ditch while having his leg amputated in hospital has returned home.
Brian Williams, of Rodney Close, returned to his house on Rodney Close last week.
The 69-year-old, who suffered from blood circulation problems in his left leg, was recovering in Exmouth Hospital after having the limb removed in May when thieves took his scooter which was stored in his garden.
Touched by his ordeal, George Martin, a 66-year-old from Middlesex donated a mobility vehicle to Brian which, now he has returned home, he can use for the first time.
"I would like to thank everyone for all their help regarding the scooter issue while I've been in hospital. There are some nice people in the world after all," Brian said.
The new scooter was picked up by Axminster-based SAK Logistics, who help distribute the Exmouth Journal and its sister titles.
- 1 Full line-up announced for Exmouth Festival
- 2 'Goth girl' Scarlett plans Dartmoor trek for charity
- 3 Big Breakfast fundraiser starts Budleigh Gala Week
- 4 'Report graffiti and vandalism', police urge Budleigh residents
- 5 Exmouth coast watch recruit three newbies
- 6 Put the bunting out - East Devon gets ready for Jubilee revelry
- 7 Body found in search for missing man
- 8 I spent an afternoon with the Devon Air Ambulance
- 9 Witness appeal after Exmouth assault
- 10 Found: Wanted man from Exmouth
Prior to its arrival at Brian's home it was serviced by B Mobile, in Brixington. And, the Rotary Club of Exmouth kindly donated a sum of money towards the service.
Gerald Garraway, president of the rotary, said: "I hope Brian gets many happy years of use out of it.
"We were quite touched by Mr Williams' ordeal and our committee decided unanimously to donate the money.