Cyclist suffers ‘life-threatening’ head injuries after A376 five-vehicle crash

PUBLISHED: 15:34 19 February 2018 | UPDATED: 12:54 28 February 2018

The northbound carriageway of the A376 near Clyst St George, where the serious collision is believed to have taken place. Picture: Google Maps.

The northbound carriageway of the A376 near Clyst St George, where the serious collision is believed to have taken place. Picture: Google Maps.


A 28-year-old male cyclist remains in hospital with ‘life-threatening’ head injuries following a serious collision on Monday, February 19 on the A376 Exmouth Road near Clyst St George.

Police have issued an appeal for information regarding the crash,

There were actually two incidents, on the same stretch of road, involving five vehicles, which took nearly six hours to clear.

The initial incident began at around 5.45am. Police received a report of a collision between a single vehicle and a pedal cycle that occurred on the A376 Exmouth Road, northbound towards Exeter, between the Fire Brigade roundabout (B3179, Clyst St George) and Clyst St Mary roundabout (A3052).

The vehicle was a black Ford Galaxy MPV, which was driven by a man in his 50s from the Exmouth area.

The bike was a grey mountain bike ridden by a 28-year-old man, also from the Exmouth area.

Following the initial collision, four more cars were involved in a secondary collision which occurred in the moments following the first impact, as drivers attempted to avoid the incident.

The weather at the time of the collisions was dark, overcast and murky.

Initially the A376 was completely closed, but by 7.20am, only the northbound carriageway remained shut. Traffic was reported to be ‘coping well’, but queuing back to Nutwell Road on the A376.

Motorists were being advised to seek alternative routes. In addition the 56 and 58 bus services were experiencing delays due to the collision.

By 8.55am, police had confirmed that the cyclist involved in the initial collision had received serious ‘potentially’ life-threatening head injuries.

The incident continued for much of the morning, while emergency services and officers from the Roads Policing Team worked at the scene.

At 10.20am the northbound road remained closed while recovery of the vehicles was ongoing. Police revealed that the cyclist had been taken to Derriford Hospital, near Plymouth. His condition was unchanged.

At 11.40am, nearly six hours after the initial accident, the police confirmed that the A376 had fully re-opened.

Potential witnesses – particularly those that saw a bike being cycled between Ebford and Clyst St Mary prior to the collision – are urged to contact Devon and Cornwall Police via or by calling 101, quoting Log 74 of 19th February 2018.

More: How the story developed: Cyclist suffers life-threatening injuries in serious Exmouth Road collision

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Exmouth Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the Exmouth Journal