Teenage rapist jailed for brutal attack on 10-year-old girl

PUBLISHED: 13:58 07 November 2019 | UPDATED: 15:00 07 November 2019

Moig was sentenced at Bristol Crown Court on Tuesday.

Moig was sentenced at Bristol Crown Court on Tuesday.


A teenager who brutally raped a 10-year-old girl and left her lying unconscious has been jailed.

A teenager who brutally raped a 10-year-old girl and left her lying unconscious has been jailed.

The 17-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, attacked the girl in Exmouth in October last year.

She had taken her phone out to call her mother when she heard footsteps running behind her.

Bristol Crown Court heard the girl was grabbed around the throat and dragged down a bank into the stream by the defendant, who raped her after she fell unconscious.

Members of the public heard the disorientated girl calling out and helped her from the stream, with police called a short time later.

The defendant fled the scene but was arrested the following day.

Mrs Justice May jailed the boy, who admitted charges of rape, choking the girl with intent to commit sexual assault and sexual assault, for seven years and two months.

She also imposed an extended sentence of eight years on licence, which the boy will serve after his release from prison.

The judge told him: "You violated her in the most ugly and cruel way.

"After raping her, you stayed for a short while before leaving her in that state - half in and half out of the water, soaking wet.

"Why on earth did you do it?"

He believed attacking a person in a sexual manner would cause 'the most psychological harm', Mrs Justice May said.

"You took steps to inflict the most damage you could on a young person much smaller than you," she told the boy.

"You used a great deal of force on her and you were aware of the impact of your actions."

The judge said that impact on the girl and her family was 'as bad as it possibly could be'.

A jury acquitted the boy of a charge of attempting to murder the girl following a trial in March.

They were unable to reach a verdict on a charge of rape.

The boy admitted this charge on the first day of his re-trial in July.

An NSPCC spokesperson for the South West of England said: "This is a tragic case and it's critical that the young girl involved is provided with the necessary support to minimise the impact this terrifying ordeal could have on her into adulthood.

"It is right that the teenage boy is held to account for his actions and that the chances of him reoffending as an adult are minimised through rehabilitation."

Any adult concerned about the welfare of a child or young person can call the NSPCC helpline for free and confidential advice on 0808 800 5000 or visit nspcc.org.uk

Children can contact Childline on 0800 1111 or childline.org.uk 24/7, 365 days a year, and speak to a counsellor about a worry or concern they may have.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Exmouth Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the Exmouth Journal