Exmouth pensioner hanged himself, inquest hears

PUBLISHED: 11:22 29 January 2018 | UPDATED: 11:22 29 January 2018

County Hall. Ref exe 04-17 5942. Picture: Terry Ife

County Hall. Ref exe 04-17 5942. Picture: Terry Ife


Charles ‘Howard’ Hudson, 74, of Bicton Street, who was found hanging in his garage intended to kill himself, an inquest has heard.

An Exmouth pensioner found hanged in his garage was anxious over his recent retirement, an inquest heard.

Charles Hudson, also known as Howard, was found by his wife Linda at his home in Bicton Street, on April 11, 2017.

An inquest held at County Hall, Exeter, heard how the 74-year-old retired painter decorator had been feeling anxious about getting old and had trouble sleeping following his retirement.

Dr Tanwin Wright, a consultant histopathologist at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, recorded the cause of death to be hanging after toxicology and post mortem reports found nothing to suggest an alternative reason.

At an inquest deputy coroner for Exeter and Greater Devon John Tomalin gave a conclusion of suicide.

He said: “I think at that particular point in time Mr Hudson had set about a process to end his life in that way.”

In a statement read out during the inquest, Mr Hudson’s wife said that this was ‘totally out of character’.

She added: “He was a little bit down about getting older but this did not appear to be a big thing.”

An inquest was told how the day before his death he had spent the morning running errands and making a trip to a recycling centre.

In the afternoon, he was at home working on the computer and watching television.

Mrs Hudson came home at around 10.30pm and went to bed before her husband leaving him to watch television downstairs.

Having been woken at around 6.40am the next morning by her cat, Mrs Hudson noticed her husband was not in bed and his half of the bed looked un-slept in.

After finding the television still on, she searched for him in the kitchen towards the rear of the house.

She then looked in garage, which had been annexed to create an office for Mr Hudson, and found her husband dead and a handwritten note on a table.

The inquest heard how she phoned 999 and a call handler took her through the process of giving Mr Hudson CPR.

Ambulance staff arrived shortly after and confirmed that Mr Hudson had died at 7.10am.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Exmouth Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the Exmouth Journal