Exmouth narrowly misses out on top prize
Exmouth may have narrowly missed out on regaining the coveted St Bridget’s Cup, the ‘best of the best’ award, in this year’s South West in Bloom competition – by a fortnight.
At the recent annual South West in Bloom awards ceremony in Newquay, Exmouth won a gold award for the third time in four years – despite the town unable to enter last year because of budget cuts.
Exmouth in Bloom chairman Pat Graham said “Normally the judging takes place last week of July when the flowers are in full bloom; this year they came to Exmouth on July 15.
“If they had come here two weeks later they really would have seen Exmouth at its best.
“We will give it our best shot and try to do better next year.”
You may also want to watch:
Judge Terry Porter said: “The general appearance of the town was very good with many excellent views and displays.
“Your town was outstandingly clean and tidy and those responsible should be congratulated… we did not see evidence of graffiti and areas like the underpass were in very good condition.”
- 1 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 2 Young stage stars tell magical story of Matilda
- 3 Explanation needed for failure to fulfil election pledge
- 4 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 5 Photographers invited to share their favourite images
- 6 Elusive mackerel still popping up for Devon anglers
- 7 Exmouth's 'kite twins' triumph in national freestyle championships
- 8 Devon has one of the highest recycling rates in the UK
- 9 Hospiscare yarn-bomb mail trail is a delight for all to enjoy
- 10 New funding pot for community buildings in East Devon