Exmouth’s minor injuries unit is open to treat cuts, burns and sprains
- Credit: Archant
Residents and visitors are being reminded that Exmouth’s minor injuries unit (MIU) is open.
The unit, based at Exmouth Hospital in Claremont Grove, is a nurse-led walk-in facility open from 8am until 8pm every day.
Nurse practitioners, healthcare assistants and paramedics are on hand to assess and treat minor injuries such as cuts, burns and sprains.
X-ray facilities are available at the MIU in Exmouth.
In addition to minor injuries, the team can also help with a range of minor illnesses, such as sore throats, eye infections and urine infections.
You may also want to watch:
Dr Barry Coakley, a GP at Claremont Medical Practice which runs the unit, said: “We are very fortunate to live in such a lovely part of the world and Exmouth attracts many people for both day-trips and holidays.
“Our beautiful surroundings encourage people to get outdoors and be more active. Unfortunately, while out having fun, accidents can happen. Exmouth MIU is here for all those minor injuries and we will get you back out to enjoy the outdoors as quickly as possible.
- 1 CLOSING - Exmouth's HSBC branch to shut later this year
- 2 An art of glass has always proved popular at auction - Piers Motley
- 3 The 'frightening' contrast in dealing with defeat - Eileen Wragg
- 4 The positive vibe from volunteering is truly uplifting
- 5 Smiles of hope as care home residents and staff receive their first vaccine
- 6 Exmouth goes underground – designer creates town tube map
- 7 A new arrival for Christmas at the Sampson household
- 8 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 9 New year, new partnerships and opportunity - Laura Woodward-Drake
- 10 Reduced timetables for trains on Avocet Line, GWR announces
“If you have an injury or illness and are unsure what to do, either give us a call or just stop in to the MIU at Exmouth Hospital. We are always happy to help.”
During normal practice hours, local residents should contact their own GP to be seen if feeling unwell. However, visitors to the area may find it helpful to visit the unit if they feel ill.
The nursing team will assess minor illnesses and, if they think GP input is necessary, they can call on the GPs from Claremont Medical Practice for more complex issues.
If the team deem an injury requires more specialist attention, they will refer people directly to the appropriate department at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital.
Outside of normal practice hours, the minor illness service is open to all.
The unit also has supplies of medication to treat minor illnesses, avoiding the need for an additional visit to a pharmacy.
Anyone who wants to contact the unit before attending can ring 01395 282001 or search for Exmouth Minor Injuries Unit on Facebook.