Exmouth Mayor bets on world cup for charity
FOOTBALL fans won t be the only ones routing for England winning the world cup this summer.
FOOTBALL fans won't be the only ones routing for England winning the world cup this summer.
Exmouth mayor Darryl Nicholas took the opportunity to have a sizable flutter for charity when he reopened a town centre betting shop last weekend.
Cllr Nicholas unveiled the new-look 'light and airy' Ladbrokes in The Parade and at the same time took put �100 on England to win the world cup this summer at odds of 5/1.
And if he wins he will get a return of �600 - which will go straight to this a local transport charity Exmouth and District Community Transport Group which is this year's designated mayoral charity.
Mayor Darryl Nicholas said: "Thanks to Manager Neil Duignan and his team for such a warm welcome and their generous charity bet on England to win the World Cup.
"Any winnings will go to my charity of the year, Exmouth and District Community Transport Group- a superb local charity that provides access to transport for many people in our town and surrounding area who suffer from mobility difficulties. All we need now is for England to win the World Cup......'
- 1 Bathing still banned at Exmouth due to pollution but restrictions lifted for Budleigh
- 2 A-level results day for students at Exmouth Community College
- 3 Passenger banned from sitting next to girls on the bus
- 4 Bathing banned at Exmouth and Budleigh due to pollution
- 5 Exmouth beach swimming ban lifted
- 6 Donation from Freemasons to fire-damaged scout hut
- 7 New drone footage shows how beavers are changing the East Devon landscape
- 8 Exeter College bucks national trend with 'best ever A level results'
- 9 CANCELLED - McFly's Exmouth concert called off
- 10 Fundraising plea to replace Exmouth church flagpole
Cllr Nicholas opened the new look shop with (from left) store manager Neil Duignan, deputy manager Sylwia Cholody and Sam Walker.