Exmouth market; best in the country
EXMOUTH Indoor market is officially Britain s Best Small Market, following a ceremony by The National Association of British Market Authorities (NABMA) in Birmingham.
EXMOUTH Indoor market is officially Britain's Best Small Market, following a ceremony by The National Association of British Market Authorities (NABMA) in Birmingham.
Market manager Jerry Miller, 39, has been manager since 1996, and said: "I was telephoned by the chief executive of NABMA and he said he could not tell us who had won but that it was in our interest to go to Birmingham on the award night.
"It was totally unexpected but a welcome reward for the stall holders, their staff and my staff. The award is a credit to all of them."
Richard Horrell, 48, who has worked at the Martian Records stall for 17 years, said:
"Our firm is celebrating its 20th anniversary and I think the award will give the market a boost."
Town manager Tony Collins who nominated the market said: "What Jerry has doing is good stuff and we wanted the world to know about it."
- 1 Rolling out the 'big tent' to help East Devon
- 2 Fears over future of Methodist church
- 3 'I am pro-vaccine, but I am also pro-choice'
- 4 Homes and shops plan approved for site behind Exmouth's Tower Street Church
- 5 Lympstone man takes on 3,000-mile rowing challenge
- 6 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 7 Withycombe ladies shine in six-try stunner
- 8 Free water dispensers set up in Exmouth to cut plastic waste
- 9 A pace for everyone with the Budleigh Runners
- 10 Live grenade training to resume on Woodbury Common from next month
He added that other towns had made it into the finals - but Mr Miller, who is the fifth generation to take on the premises, which his father changed from a garage into a market - had stood head and shoulders above all of them.