Exmouth market; best in the country
EXMOUTH Indoor market is officially Britain s Best Small Market, following a ceremony by The National Association of British Market Authorities (NABMA) in Birmingham.
EXMOUTH Indoor market is officially Britain's Best Small Market, following a ceremony by The National Association of British Market Authorities (NABMA) in Birmingham.
Market manager Jerry Miller, 39, has been manager since 1996, and said: "I was telephoned by the chief executive of NABMA and he said he could not tell us who had won but that it was in our interest to go to Birmingham on the award night.
"It was totally unexpected but a welcome reward for the stall holders, their staff and my staff. The award is a credit to all of them."
Richard Horrell, 48, who has worked at the Martian Records stall for 17 years, said:
You may also want to watch:
"Our firm is celebrating its 20th anniversary and I think the award will give the market a boost."
Town manager Tony Collins who nominated the market said: "What Jerry has doing is good stuff and we wanted the world to know about it."
- 1 Delay in Exmouth murder trial announced
- 2 Medics start fundraising row from Exmouth to help life-saving charities
- 3 Remembering the golden age of Exmouth
- 4 Community rallies round to make raffle a success and help Lions
- 5 Fairlynch Museum opens its doors for longer visits
- 6 Former pupil returns with inspiration after success in Paralympic Games
- 7 Rugby star Ben Moon’s Testimonial year begins
- 8 Shore anglers enjoy more success than charter boats
- 9 Budleigh Colts reach the Devon final
- 10 Council chairman declares unique new sensory garden open
He added that other towns had made it into the finals - but Mr Miller, who is the fifth generation to take on the premises, which his father changed from a garage into a market - had stood head and shoulders above all of them.