Exmouth man's death was an accident, inquest rules

PUBLISHED: 10:57 26 September 2017 | UPDATED: 10:57 26 September 2017

County Hall in Exeter.

County Hall in Exeter.


An Exmouth man who had a history of epilepsy died from a blood clot in his head at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital on May 3, 2017.

The death of an Exmouth man who had a history of epilepsy has been ruled an accident, an inquest has heard.

Shaun Pickett, 49, of Bapton Close, died at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital after being originally admitted for a toe injury following a fall at home.

An inquest heard how a post-mortem report ruled that Mr Pickett’s death on May 3, this year, was caused by a blood clot in his head.

Assistant coroner Lydia Brown, sitting at County Hall, ruled that Mr Pickett’s death was accidental.

She said: “I am satisfied that after a head injury Mr Pickett was admitted to the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital but died from his injuries on May 3, 2017.”

The inquest heard how Mr Pickett had been diagnosed with a benign brain tumour at the age of three and underwent radiotherapy.

He worked at the Royal Marines Commando Training Centre, in Lympstone between 1995 and 2015.

A community carer from Age Concern, Sarah Jones, had been making regular visits to Mr Pickett’s home to help him and his father, who had been suffering with dementia.

During a visit on April 29 this year, she noticed that there had been dried blood on Mr Pickett’s forehead. He told her that he had fallen over in his bedroom causing him an injury to his toe nail.

She said: “I was a bit concerned about him. There was also a smaller cut on the front of his head.

“I called an ambulance and the paramedics arrived about 10 minutes later.”

He was initially taken to Exmouth Hospital’s minor injuries unit before going to Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital where doctors decided to remove the toe nail.

While Mr Pickett and Sarah Jones were waiting for a taxi to take them back to Exmouth, he collapsed and was readmitted to hospital.

The inquest heard how he had another fall at the hospital on May 1 but doctors said that a scan did not show any lasting damage.

After a registrar found he had a low blood pressure on May 2, he was transferred to a dependency unit and died on May 3 after he failed to regain consciousness following a seizure.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Exmouth Journal

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists