Exmouth home badly damaged by fire

FIREFIGHTERS from Exmouth, Budleigh Salterton and Topsham, and the hydraulic platform crew from Exeter, on Saturday spent hours battling a blaze which broke out in a Brixington home.

FIREFIGHTERS from Exmouth, Budleigh Salterton and Topsham, and the hydraulic platform crew from Exeter, on Saturday spent hours battling a blaze which broke out in a Brixington home.

The blaze broke out in a utility room of a home in Warneford Gardens shortly before 2.30pm, where it is believed the fire started when a washing machine overheated.

The fire quickly took hold when the heat of the flames melted a gas pipe in the room and a small gas explosion caused the roof of the home to collapse.

These dramatic readers' pictures show the extent of the blaze and the thick, black, acrid smoke which could be seen from miles around.


You may also want to watch:


Officer in charge watch commander Bob Sturtivant said the fire was already 'well developed' when the crews arrived.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus trained jets of water on neighbouring homes as they battled to prevent the blaze from spreading.

Most Read

When the council building surveyor arrived they declared the home unsafe and prevented any further action taking place inside.

* See this week's Journal for the full story

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter