Exmouth flat fire prompts warning from fire brigade

PUBLISHED: 11:18 26 November 2008 | UPDATED: 10:06 10 June 2010

THE fire brigade has warned of the importance of fitting smoke detectors after a St Andrew's Road home caught fire in the early hours of this morning.

THE fire brigade has warned of the importance of fitting smoke detectors after a St Andrew's Road home caught fire in the early hours of this morning.

Firefighters from Exmouth and Budleigh Salterton were called to the ground floor flat shortly before 5am and when they arrived at the property, they found a fire had been caused by embers from fire igniting carpet and burning down into floor boards, over a slow period.

Devon Fire and Somerset Fire Rescue Service said fitted smoke detectors would have alerted occupant at the earliest stages of the fire.

The fire crews carried out home fire safety check, fitted smoke detectors at the flat and in communal areas of the building, checked surrounding properties and used a thermal imaging camera to check the affected home.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Exmouth Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Exmouth Journal