Exmouth flat fire: man rescued

PUBLISHED: 12:09 22 April 2013 | UPDATED: 12:09 22 April 2013

Archant

A man suffering from smoke inhalation was rescued by firefighters and treated by paramedics when a flat caught fire in Exmouth town centre.

Firefighters rescued a man from a burning flat in Exmouth on Sunday afternoon after neighbours raised the alarm.

The crew was called to the High Street at around 3.15pm, where they forced entry into the flat when the neighbour reported the smoke alarm was sounding but the occupant could not be reached.

A man was rescued by the fire crew and treated for smoke inhalation.

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “Fire control received a call from a neighbour stating that a fire alarm was sounding in a flat next door to him but the occupant could not be raised.

A fire appliance from Exmouth went to investigate and as a smell of burning was detected, crews forced entry into the flat.

“Crews found a small fire in the ground floor kitchen involving unattended food in the oven.

“One male was rescued by fire service personnel and treated for smoke inhalation by ambulance crews at the scene.

“Crews removed the burnt food to the open air and used a positive pressure fan to ventilate the property.”

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Exmouth Journal

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists