Exmouth firefighters’ fun day for Macmillan Cancer Support
Vintage fire engines and fire demonstrations will be among the many attractions and activities taking place in Exmouth this month.
A family fun weekend is being held on August 13 and 14 at Exmouth Fire Station, from 10am to 4pm each day, to raise funds for Macmillan Cancer Support and the Firefighters’ Charity.
Youngsters will be able to sit in a fire engine, try their hand at operating a fire hose, dress up as a firefighter and also have their photo taken.
A Macmillan Cancer Support spokeswoman said: “There’ll be lots of fun things to do and see, including vintage fire engines and fire demonstrations.
“One will be of a road traffic incident where the crew will cut the roof and doors off a car in order to rescue the casualty. The other two demonstrations will be of a house fire involving a 100-foot high ladder and a chip pan fire, where top tips will be given on what to do should this ever happen to you.”
You may also want to watch:
The fun continues on Sunday, August 14, when the firefighters head to Exmouth seafront, where, from noon, they will pull a 14-tonne fire engine the four miles from the harbour to Orcombe Point and back.
Retained Exmouth firefighter Nigel Alford, the event co-organiser, said: “Around 12 firefighters will be involved in the challenge, which will take around two hours to achieve. It’s going to be tough, as we’ll have just completed a 24-hour cross trainer relay the day before.”
- 1 Are you ready to play hotel's Game of Stones?
- 2 Council spending on temporary housing soars as crisis grows
- 3 Councillors call for a U-turn on universal credit £20 decision
- 4 Man left with serious injures after crash on Woodbury Common
- 5 Concept of 'live local' more important than ever in housing crisis
- 6 Judges and lawyers pay tribute to 'simply the best' Anna
- 7 Exe Raid Regatta on Exmouth water
- 8 Exmouth Harriers pounding the roads of York and Portsmouth
- 9 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 10 Finest display of the season for Exmouth Town