EXMOUTH FIRE UPDATE: police close town centre roads
FIREFIGHTERS are continuing to tackle a blaze which broke out at an Exmouth shop shortly after midday. Around eight appliances were called to attend the incident at Bargains Galore, in The Parade. Police have cordoned off roads accessing the town centre w
FIREFIGHTERS are continuing to tackle a blaze which broke out at an Exmouth shop shortly after midday.
Around eight appliances were called to attend the incident at Bargains Galore, in The Parade. Police have cordoned off roads accessing the town centre while the fire is brought under control.
A spokesperson for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue service said the blaze had spread to nearby flats.
"The fire is still very intense. It has spread to the flats at the back and also to both the sports and conservative clubs," she said.
You may also want to watch:
The deputy chief of the fire service is now at the scene of the incident with a number of senior officers.
Dave Rogers from the ambulance service said that there had been no casualties but three crews were put on standby.
- 1 Council chairman declares unique new sensory garden open
- 2 Remembering the golden age of Exmouth
- 3 Chair of council is the right man for the job
- 4 MP and councillors call for rethink on plan for cycle lane
- 5 Funding boost means park team can get their skates on
- 6 Estuary team invite families to go wild with summer activities
- 7 Repair cafe opens again
- 8 Communities complete vital work to protect future development
- 9 Dealer took over vulnerable people's homes in Exmouth and Exeter
- 10 Budleigh Hub makes gearchange to Seachange
He added: "We remained on standby just in case anybody suffered from smoke inhalation and stayed there until fire crews gave us the all-clear."
PC Martin Young of Exmouth police said it was decided to close the roads because there was debris flying around and a danger of smoke inhalation.
"The roads have been closed to keep people out of the way so the fire crews can do their jobs," he said.
Police are asking people in the town to keep their windows and doors close as smoke was blowing inland.
Updates to follow.