Exmouth factory fire: staff evacuated

PUBLISHED: 12:56 13 December 2011



Firefighters were called to Eurotech on Monday night when a fire broke out in an oven. Some six crews tackled the blaze and cleared smoke from the building. The cause of the fire was accidental, said the fire service.

Staff were evacuated from a factory in Exmouth shortly after midnight on Monday when fire broke out in a commercial oven.

The Eurotech factory, on Dinan Way, suffered fire and heavy smoke damage after the blaze was discovered on a first floor office of the factory.

Fire crews from Exmouth, Budleigh Salterton, Topsham and Exeter were called to the factory, which specialises in circuit boards and micro electrics, at around midnight.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said the power to the electric curing oven was isolated during on the crews’ arrival.

Fire crews wore breathing apparatus and used two hose reels and dry powder extinguishers to tackle the blaze.

An aerial platform, from Exeter, was drafted in so crews could cut a vent in the factory roof.

The water bowser from Exeter, incident command unit from Emouth and environment pod, which deals with chemical incidents, from Crediton, were all tasked to the scene.

The fire service said 10 per cent of the building was heavily heat damaged.

Some 50 per cent was heavily smoke damaged, with the remainder smoke damaged.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Exmouth Journal

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists