Exmouth event copied throughout the UK
A REGULAR charity fixture on Exmouth s festive calendar has now been adopted by a major UK charity, and will be repeated all over the country in a bid to raise �100,000.
A REGULAR charity fixture on Exmouth's festive calendar has now been adopted by a major UK charity, and will be repeated all over the country in a bid to raise �100,000.
Exmouth's famous Great Big Christmas Sing has been running for five years and attracts hundreds to the Pavilion Theatre to sing carols, watch performances by schools, to see the work by local artists to raise funds.
However the event, the brainchild of Exmouth's Martin John-Nichols, has been so successful that Christian Aid, who help some of the poorest people in the world, has now been adopted its national Christmas fundraiser.
And now all over the UK, in towns, cities and villages, people will be holding their own Big Sings following Exmouth's example.
You may also want to watch:
MC of the original show, Martin John Nicholls, said: "We are so proud that what began as a local event here in Exmouth is now being publicised all across the country and beyond.
"Nationally Christian Aid hope to raise over �100,000 for people living in poverty, and it all started here."
- 1 There are some hard truths we need to accept about the pandemic
- 2 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 3 Exmouth goes underground – designer creates town tube map
- 4 Smiles of hope as care home residents and staff receive their first vaccine
- 5 Stunning sunrise and sunset entries submitted for joint chamber contest
- 6 Reduced timetables for trains on Avocet Line, GWR announces
- 7 Police warning over fake Covid-19 vaccine texts scam
- 8 New year, new partnerships and opportunity - Laura Woodward-Drake
- 9 Budleigh Coronavirus Community Lifelines
- 10 Community thanked for help in setting up rapid testing centre at college
Co-presenter, Laura McAdam said, "For many hundreds of local people Christmas starts with our Great Big Christmas Sing at the Pavilion. We not only raise our voices and many a laugh, we also raise the profile of local schools and performers, we raise awareness of the plight of the poorest people on the planet, and we raise valuable funds to help them stand on their own feet.
"It's a brilliant combination. This year Exmouth's Great Big Christmas Sing will include African drummers, Ballet, songs from the shows, acoustic folk and, of course beautiful Christmas Carols sung by the audience."
This year Christian Aid is working alongside the Exmouth Town Council and their Great Big Christmas Sing will be the climax of the town's Christmas celebration weekend on Sunday December 6.
Tickets are already on sale at �6 from the Pavilion Box Office.