Exmouth event copied throughout the UK
A REGULAR charity fixture on Exmouth s festive calendar has now been adopted by a major UK charity, and will be repeated all over the country in a bid to raise �100,000.
A REGULAR charity fixture on Exmouth's festive calendar has now been adopted by a major UK charity, and will be repeated all over the country in a bid to raise �100,000.
Exmouth's famous Great Big Christmas Sing has been running for five years and attracts hundreds to the Pavilion Theatre to sing carols, watch performances by schools, to see the work by local artists to raise funds.
However the event, the brainchild of Exmouth's Martin John-Nichols, has been so successful that Christian Aid, who help some of the poorest people in the world, has now been adopted its national Christmas fundraiser.
And now all over the UK, in towns, cities and villages, people will be holding their own Big Sings following Exmouth's example.
You may also want to watch:
MC of the original show, Martin John Nicholls, said: "We are so proud that what began as a local event here in Exmouth is now being publicised all across the country and beyond.
"Nationally Christian Aid hope to raise over �100,000 for people living in poverty, and it all started here."
- 1 Man left with serious injures after crash on Woodbury Common
- 2 Judges and lawyers pay tribute to 'simply the best' Anna
- 3 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 4 Property supply continues to be an issue as we approach the end of the year
- 5 Tributes to man who saw town's marina through transition
- 6 John and Grace run for the heart
- 7 Blooming marvellous for Madeira bowls
- 8 Lifeboat crew plan bumper fireworks display fundraiser
- 9 Early detection increases chances of successful treatment
- 10 Who blinked first? A defining moment in humanity's existence
Co-presenter, Laura McAdam said, "For many hundreds of local people Christmas starts with our Great Big Christmas Sing at the Pavilion. We not only raise our voices and many a laugh, we also raise the profile of local schools and performers, we raise awareness of the plight of the poorest people on the planet, and we raise valuable funds to help them stand on their own feet.
"It's a brilliant combination. This year Exmouth's Great Big Christmas Sing will include African drummers, Ballet, songs from the shows, acoustic folk and, of course beautiful Christmas Carols sung by the audience."
This year Christian Aid is working alongside the Exmouth Town Council and their Great Big Christmas Sing will be the climax of the town's Christmas celebration weekend on Sunday December 6.
Tickets are already on sale at �6 from the Pavilion Box Office.