Exmouth dinosaur trail to bring Jurassic Coast to life
- Credit: Archant
Giant model dinosaurs will be arriving in Exmouth during the next few weeks, as the town’s Jurassic Safari trail takes shape.
The life-sized dinosaurs - 17 in total - will appear throughout the town and along the seafront.
The trail is intended to promote Exmouth as a gateway to the Jurassic Coast World Heritage site.
The trail, put forward by the Exmouth Town Team in partnership with Exmouth Town Council, East Devon District Council (EDDC) and the Jurassic Coast Team, will feature dinosaurs which have been adopted by town businesses and schools.
The Jurassic Safari trail is billed as ‘a fascinating and educational trail for all to explore’.
You may also want to watch:
Exmouth Town Council town management project officer Suzanne Birkett said: “The Jurassic Coast Team has contributed much to this super project, including detailing the story of the Jurassic Coast and fossil finds as you follow the trail.
“Not all the dinosaurs on our trail have been found locally of course. Some are global superstars, which we have added just for fun!
- 1 Do you know who owns the Magnolia clock?
- 2 Introducing the Journal's newest columnst - Scott Gray
- 3 Changes made to Exmouth bus route following national lockdown
- 4 Headteacher ‘blown away’ by response to computer fundraising campaign
- 5 Open Door is here for the community during lockdown 3.0
- 6 Fishing vessel rescued by Exmouth RNLI
- 7 Transition Exmouth’s ‘library of things’ project get National Lottery funding boost
- 8 Town council’s slice of tax bill set to decrease
- 9 The positive vibe from volunteering is truly uplifting
- 10 Words of respect and dignity honoured Adrian
“Soon you will be able to follow the trail and find the evidence pointing to which of our sponsored dinosaurs or their relatives actually lived here and discover some amazing information about Exmouth as gateway to the Jurassic Coast.”
Suzanne added that the town team was ‘hugely grateful’ to the trail sponsors, including Bassetts Farm Primary School, Brixington Primary Academy, St Joseph’s Catholic Primary School, Dolphin Pre-school and Nursery, Sunshine Pre-school, Cockman Builders, Market Carpets, AJ’s Taxis, the Manor Cottage pub, World of Country Life, Ladram Bay, Exmouth Photo Studio, Indoor Market, LED Ocean, EDDC, and the Grove pub.
The model dinosaurs are expected to be in position for a launch event, which is due to take place in The Strand on August 20.
This will feature speakers, including ITV palaeontologist Dean Lomax, Jurassic Coast Ambassadors, a science dome with 3D dinosaur films, fossil displays, fossil identification and much more.