Exmouth dentist dies

A FORMER Exmouth dentist dubbed ‘the ultimate gentleman’ has died.

Robert Clifford William Skidmore died peacefully at the age of 88 at Exmouth House Nursing Home on December 29.

He leaves his wife, Audrey, son Simon and wife Debbie, daughter Gail and husband Kevin; grandchildren Philippa, Nick, Alexander, Victoria and great grand children Joshua and Amber.

His funeral service took place at Lympstone Parish Church this week.

Paying tribute to Bob, one close relative said: “For those that knew him, he was always the ultimate “gentleman”.

“A great sense of fun, warm, kind and generous, he was liked by everybody that had the pleasure to meet him.”

Bob was born on the 25th July 1922 in Sutton in Surrey and lived for many years in Banstead, attending the Reigate Grammar School.

Most Read

In 1941, with the outbreak of war, he enlisted and was recommended for a commission towards the end of his basic training.

Rising to the rank of Captain in the 16/5th Lancers, he saw active service in North Africa, Italy and Austria during which he met Audrey Elborne, who was later to become his wife.

With the end of the war, Bob returned home in November 1946 and married Audrey shortly afterwards.

He also enrolled as a student at the Royal Dental Hospital, London and qualified in 1952. Working initially in St Albans and Slough, Bob moved to Exmouth to join the dental practice at 10 Salterton Road.

Over the years, the practice was developed to incorporate five practitioners, including his close student friend, Royd Dawkins, a second practice in Bicton Place and a dental workshop.

An active man, Bob was a past Chairman of the Round Table and a member of the 41 Club in Exmouth.

He was also a keen golfer and member of the East Devon Golf Club for many years.

Other interests included being an accomplished craftsman; spending most of his spare time working with wood making and improving any manner of things for his home and family.

Bob retired in 1982 and moved shortly afterwards from Salterton Road to Lympstone where he lived until his death.