Youth in court over alleged rape and attempted murder of girl, 10, in Exmouth
- Credit: Dan Wilkins
A teenager has appeared before a High Court judge accused of the attempted murder and rape of a young girl.
The boy from Exmouth, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was not asked to not enter pleas to the two charges.
He appeared at Exeter Crown Court via video link from Feltham Young Offenders Institution during a 50-minute hearing.
He is accused of raping and attempting to murder the girl who was allegedly attacked on a grassy area in Exmouth, on October 4.
An earlier hearing was told the girl was allegedly sexually assaulted and strangled as she walked home and was found lying in a brook.
You may also want to watch:
Judge, The honourable Mr Justice Dingemans, set a date for an eight-day trial at Exeter Crown Court, on February 25, 2019.
The boy will next appear at court by video link on December 18, when the judge will give further directions for the progress of the case.
- 1 Exmouth goes underground – designer creates town tube map
- 2 Police warning over fake Covid-19 vaccine texts scam
- 3 'we're here to help' Budleigh Covid Support Group ready for action
- 4 Smiles of hope as care home residents and staff receive their first vaccine
- 5 Budleigh Coronavirus Community Lifelines
- 6 Put the kettle on to support your local hospice
- 7 ‘We’re here to help’ - eMAG’s volunteers ready to help during latest lockdown
- 8 Exeter City Community Trust stepping up again
- 9 Community energy funding helps TRIP coordinate thousands of requests for support
- 10 Temporary seafront attractions to remain in place for the summer
A formal direction banning the Press from identifying the defendant and the victim was reinforced.