Exmouth couple celebrate 60th wedding anniversary
AN EXMOUTH couple celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary at a surprise garden party and received a letter from the queen to congratulate them for reaching the marital landmark. Joyce and Colin Bassett, of Briar Close, enjoyed the party at their daughte
AN EXMOUTH couple celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary at a surprise garden party and received a letter from the queen to congratulate them for reaching the marital landmark.
Joyce and Colin Bassett, of Briar Close, enjoyed the party at their daughter, Janine's garden, last Sunday, September 6. A crowd which included 46 of the pair's friends and family attended.
Reflecting on the day, a delighted Joyce, 80, said: "The fact that everything was kept so low key in the lead-up made it such a surprise.
"It was a lovely occasion. We had a marquee in the garden, a wonderful buffet with champagne and cakes, and there was a trampoline for children.
You may also want to watch:
"The weather was kind and it was nice to see that everyone had as much as a good time as us.
"We also received a letter from the Queen wishing us best wishes on our 60th wedding anniversary."
- 1 Bouncing back with our Library of Things
- 2 Exmouth road extension backed in parliament
- 3 Exmouth Parkrun is back with a bang
- 4 East Devon MP humbled by care home visit
- 5 Western League opener for Exmouth Town
- 6 Exmouth local set to brave the shave for friend Simon
- 7 TV presenter Josie makes a splash at holiday park
- 8 Stunning displays for this year's Britain in Bloom awards
- 9 Delay in Exmouth murder trial announced
- 10 Former pupil returns with inspiration after success in Paralympic Games
The couple, who have three children, Janine, Martyn and Graham, have lived in Exmouth for more than 20 years.
Joyce, who said both her and husband Colin also went out for lunch on Thursday to mark the occasion, explained it was good to see friends and family who she had not seen for a long time.
"The day went so quickly - there was so much to say.