Exmouth couple celebrate 60th wedding anniversary
AN EXMOUTH couple celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary at a surprise garden party and received a letter from the queen to congratulate them for reaching the marital landmark. Joyce and Colin Bassett, of Briar Close, enjoyed the party at their daughte
AN EXMOUTH couple celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary at a surprise garden party and received a letter from the queen to congratulate them for reaching the marital landmark.
Joyce and Colin Bassett, of Briar Close, enjoyed the party at their daughter, Janine's garden, last Sunday, September 6. A crowd which included 46 of the pair's friends and family attended.
Reflecting on the day, a delighted Joyce, 80, said: "The fact that everything was kept so low key in the lead-up made it such a surprise.
"It was a lovely occasion. We had a marquee in the garden, a wonderful buffet with champagne and cakes, and there was a trampoline for children.
"The weather was kind and it was nice to see that everyone had as much as a good time as us.
"We also received a letter from the Queen wishing us best wishes on our 60th wedding anniversary."
- 1 Injured coast path walker airlifted to hospital
- 2 Care at home company named top 20 in the SW
- 3 Bailiffs instructed to evict caravans from Exmouth site ‘as soon as possible’
- 4 Lively conditions set the scene for Exmouth Regatta
- 5 Ladram Bay to feature in 'staycation' TV show
- 6 Local history: Lady Byron's links with Exmouth
- 7 Budleigh gears up for Gala Week
- 8 Co-op raises 7K for local community
- 9 Full line-up announced for Exmouth Festival
- 10 Put the bunting out - East Devon gets ready for Jubilee revelry
The couple, who have three children, Janine, Martyn and Graham, have lived in Exmouth for more than 20 years.
Joyce, who said both her and husband Colin also went out for lunch on Thursday to mark the occasion, explained it was good to see friends and family who she had not seen for a long time.
"The day went so quickly - there was so much to say.