Exmouth couple celebrate 60th wedding anniversary
AN EXMOUTH couple celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary at a surprise garden party and received a letter from the queen to congratulate them for reaching the marital landmark. Joyce and Colin Bassett, of Briar Close, enjoyed the party at their daughte
AN EXMOUTH couple celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary at a surprise garden party and received a letter from the queen to congratulate them for reaching the marital landmark.
Joyce and Colin Bassett, of Briar Close, enjoyed the party at their daughter, Janine's garden, last Sunday, September 6. A crowd which included 46 of the pair's friends and family attended.
Reflecting on the day, a delighted Joyce, 80, said: "The fact that everything was kept so low key in the lead-up made it such a surprise.
"It was a lovely occasion. We had a marquee in the garden, a wonderful buffet with champagne and cakes, and there was a trampoline for children.
You may also want to watch:
"The weather was kind and it was nice to see that everyone had as much as a good time as us.
"We also received a letter from the Queen wishing us best wishes on our 60th wedding anniversary."
- 1 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 2 ‘Thank you, I've got my Winnie back’ - man’s relief after dog collapsed on the seafront
- 3 New Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine being rolled out in Devon
- 4 ‘He’s a natural’ - landscape designer Jacob’s Oxford College success
- 5 Former Exmouth school volunteer recognised with marine conservation award
- 6 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 7 Jon Sopel event boosts St Peters’ Chromebook appeal
- 8 Rotarian laptops and tablets appeal for home schooling
- 9 Ban for driver who injured cyclist in Budleigh
- 10 Holocaust Memorial Day to be marked in virtual ceremony
The couple, who have three children, Janine, Martyn and Graham, have lived in Exmouth for more than 20 years.
Joyce, who said both her and husband Colin also went out for lunch on Thursday to mark the occasion, explained it was good to see friends and family who she had not seen for a long time.
"The day went so quickly - there was so much to say.