Exmouth chip pan fire - 'lucky escape' said fire service

PUBLISHED: 14:29 22 December 2008 | UPDATED: 10:13 10 June 2010

EXMOUTH firefighters said people living at a New Street home which suffered a chip pan fire had a lucky escape .

EXMOUTH firefighters said people living at a New Street home which suffered a chip pan fire had a 'lucky escape'.

The firefighters were alerted a blaze had occurred after they were called to the next door property shortly before 8am on Sunday morning after reports the home was full of smoke.

The fire service said the smoke had seeped through from a neighbouring property's earlier chip pan fire.

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service (DSFRS) spokesperson said the chip pan fire was accidental and the occupants had been given fire safety advice.

"It transpired the smoke had percolated from a neighbouring property which had suffered a severe chip pan fire the previous evening.

"On entering the neighbouring property fire crews confirmed a severely fire damaged ground floor kitchen and smoke-damaged ground floor lounge," The DSFRS said.

"It would appear the occupants had a lucky escape and had eventually managed to extinguish the fire themselves with dry powder extinguishers.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Exmouth Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Exmouth Journal