Exmouth chess club crowns its champion
A TRIUMPHANT member of Exmouth Chess Club has been awarded a trophy in recognition of his hard work playing the game.
Mark Abbott, the club’s champion for 2010, received the Tempest Trophy from three-time former champion, John Stephens, at a meeting last Wednesday.
Mr Abbott lives in Cullompton but joined the Exmouth Club when he worked at the NatWest Bank in Rolle Street in 1996.
He has remained loyal to the team even though he has now progressed to being the manager of their branch at Exeter University.
The former champion started playing chess aged eight when he studied at Withycombe Raleigh Primary School.
You may also want to watch:
He had his first successes in the old Exmouth Primary Schools Chess League and Congress.
Mr Stephens currently works as events manager with the Exmouth-based catering firm, Eat With Englands, in which his sister is a partner.
- 1 Judges and lawyers pay tribute to 'simply the best' Anna
- 2 Man left with serious injures after crash on Woodbury Common
- 3 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 4 Tributes to man who saw town's marina through transition
- 5 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 6 Friends remember Alison as cancer support fund grows to £40,000
- 7 Budleigh up to third with thrilling win
- 8 Property supply continues to be an issue as we approach the end of the year
- 9 Tributes flow for man who helped reshape city
- 10 '9 to 5' smash hit musical about to come your way