Exmouth cancer sufferer’s treatment to be decided
CANCER sufferer Raymond O’Sullivan will travel to Amsterdam where he hopes to receive the next stage of his treatment.
After an intensive timetable of chemotherapy, the 12-year-old, of Green Close, Exmouth, will go to Holland before Christmas where his mum, Vanessa, will meet doctors to discuss his next programme of medical care.
Earlier this year, Raymond was diagnosed with orbital rhabdomyosarcoma, a cancerous tumour near his eye, for the second time in his life.
It is likely the youngster will be treated with Brachytherapy, a form of radiotherapy commonly used as an effective treatment for cervical, prostate, breast and skin cancer.
Vanessa said: “If all goes to plan with the meeting in Amsterdam, it could well be that we should be back over there again in the New Year for him to receive the therapy.
“I feel a bit more at ease and happier knowing that we are now going to speak to these doctors about the next stage.”
Raymond, an Exmouth Community College pupil, won a previous battle against the condition after he was first diagnosed in 2001.
- 1 Bathing still banned at Exmouth due to pollution but restrictions lifted for Budleigh
- 2 Passenger banned from sitting next to girls on the bus
- 3 Bathing banned at Exmouth and Budleigh due to pollution
- 4 A-level results day for students at Exmouth Community College
- 5 CANCELLED - McFly's Exmouth concert called off
- 6 Exe Estuary cleared of ‘navigational obstructions’ by harbour patrol team
- 7 Budleigh Salterton Male Voice Choir come to Topsham
- 8 Recycle collection boxes installed at Exmouth Specsavers
- 9 Police asking for help in reducing demand this summer
- 10 Multi agency rescue on Exmouth seafront
There is a chance long-term damage could be caused to his optic nerve as a result of any further radiotherapy. One of the likelihoods was his sight could be lost.
Speaking about the effects of his chemotherapy, Vanessa said: “He is maintaining his weight rather well although he is sleeping a lot more and is not as energetic as he used to be.”