Exmouth Business Awards 2018: back-to-back awards were the icing on the cake for Charlotte Crews
- Credit: Archant
The Exmouth Business Awards 2018 – celebrating the achievements of local businesses – is coming up at Exmouth’s Ocean on Friday, May 18. Here we look back at a previous award winner, honoured as Independent Retailer of the Year...
Hardly surprising since Charlotte Crews – who opened her business in 2010 from home and then moved to the Exeter Road – has been shortlisted five times in the awards, winning Small Business of the Year in 2016 and last year scooping Independent Retailer of the Year in 2017.
“I was ecstatic to win an award for the second year running,” said Charlotte.
What does she attribute her success to?
“Hard work and good customer service,” she said. “It also helps that I love my job.”
You may also want to watch:
Charlotte creates celebration cakes for all occasions, from simple and elegant to unique and quirky, with wedding cakes being a big seller. She also offers cake decorating courses and cake decorating products.
How did she start?
- 1 Exmouth goes underground – designer creates town tube map
- 2 Reduced timetables for trains on Avocet Line, GWR announces
- 3 Police warning over fake Covid-19 vaccine texts scam
- 4 Budleigh Coronavirus Community Lifelines
- 5 Stunning sunrise and sunset entries submitted for joint chamber contest
- 6 Smiles of hope as care home residents and staff receive their first vaccine
- 7 'we're here to help' Budleigh Covid Support Group ready for action
- 8 There's light at the end of the tunnel - but for now embrace lockdown life
- 9 Temporary seafront attractions to remain in place for the summer
- 10 Community energy funding helps TRIP coordinate thousands of requests for support
“I’ve always loved baking since I was young and baking with my mum. I decided to take a leap of faith and launch the business, initially from my home kitchen.
“I have been in my current shop on Exeter Road for two years and it is such a lovely location. We are very busy and it’s lovely to hear people admiring the cakes in the window.”
It’s not just Exmouthians, either. HRH Charles, Prince of Wales and HRH Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall have been customers too. Charlotte was commissioned to bake a cake for them.
“I got to meet them and they said the cake tasted great,” said Charlotte. “Camilla said she was ‘blown away by the design’.”
Has winning the Exmouth Business Award given her business a boost?
“Definitely,” she said. “People see the award finalists and winners as trusted suppliers. It enhances your reputation and is a great way of getting people to know about you.”
What advice had she got for businesses wanting to win Independent Retailer of the Year?
“Go for it! If you put all you have into your business it will show, and people will appreciate it. I always strive to offer the best customer service that I can, and this helps.”