Exmouth bowling alley delay
A cloud of uncertainty continues to hover above Exmouth’s seafront bowling alley over when construction work will resume on the complex
THE OWNER of Exmouth’s seafront bowling alley remains uncertain about when construction work will resume on the multi-million pound developmen..
Mark Quinn said a structural engineer was in the process of finalising a methodology report into how the centre could be completed after a technical problem caused building work to grind to a halt last year.
Despondent that there was no further positive news to report, Mr Quinn, of Harlequins Leisure, the firm behind the development, was unclear when the report would be finished and thus, when construction could recommence.
The businessman, who claimed he was eager for the complex to be completed, said: “Negotiations are ongoing to resolve the issue and we hope we will conclude them soon and be able to get back onto site.
You may also want to watch:
“We remain committed to the project and we’re very frustrated that this problem has not yet been overcome.”
Mr Quinn, at a public meeting held in Gunfield Gardens last May, said the centre would take six months to complete – at the most – once building work started again.
- 1 Are you ready to play hotel's Game of Stones?
- 2 Council spending on temporary housing soars as crisis grows
- 3 Councillors call for a U-turn on universal credit £20 decision
- 4 Man left with serious injures after crash on Woodbury Common
- 5 Judges and lawyers pay tribute to 'simply the best' Anna
- 6 Concept of 'live local' more important than ever in housing crisis
- 7 Exe Raid Regatta on Exmouth water
- 8 Exmouth Harriers pounding the roads of York and Portsmouth
- 9 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 10 Property supply continues to be an issue as we approach the end of the year
Plans to build a bowling alley at the site were first given the go-ahead in 2007.
Mr Quinn has encountered a number of setbacks which have brought construction to a standstill in the last three years. The delays have resulted in a series of projected completion dates being missed.
A revised planning application, to overcome the latest problem, which included calls to raise the height of the roof, was approved by East Devon District Council earlier this year.
Speaking to the Journal last April, Mr Quinn revealed his frustration at losing thousands of pounds each week while the complex is uncompleted.
“I bet if we were down there today (in this sunny weather), we would be doing 2000 Sunday roasts,” he said.
“I love the site. I’ve spent a lot of time and money trying to get this development organised. It will happen.
“We are desperate to get the job going again. The centre will be completed in the near future and it will be something the people of Exmouth can be proud of.”
It will include a restaurant, children’s play area, function rooms, and has been designed in a way to incorporate an ice rink at certain times.