Exmouth bartender, 34, died accidentally from toxic mix of alcohol and painkillers
PUBLISHED: 11:00 07 August 2015
A coroner has ruled an Exmouth man died accidentally after taking a deadly mix of pills and alcohol.
Bartender Philip Edgar-Moore, 34, who suffered long-term severe stomach pain with pancreatitis, was found dead at his Morton Road flat by a friend on October 18, 2014, after failing to turn up for work.
Exeter and Greater Devon assistant coroner Lydia Brown ruled Mr Edgar-Moore’s death had been accidental, concluding he died from poly-drug toxicity.
Police said blister packets of empty pills were found on the bed and table next to Mr Edgar-Moore’s body.
A post mortem report found levels of alcohol in his blood equivalent to being three times over the drink-drive limit.
The coroner said the mix of drugs and drink was likely to have resulted in ‘fatal toxic results’.
The inquest was told Mr Edgar-Moore suffered from chronic pancreatitis. He regularly took prescription drugs to combat the pain.
In the months leading up to his death, he was considered a suicide risk; he self-harmed by cutting himself.
Mr Edgar-Moore had separated from his civil partner and moved to a flat in what he hoped was a trial separation.
His partner, Andrew, said the relationship split had been prompted by Mr Edgar-Moore’s reliance on pain relief prescription drugs for his illness.
His partner told the coroner, at the time of Mr Adgar-Moore’s death, he had been successfully reducing his pain relief medication of codeine and Tramadol.
The coroner said poly-drug toxicity was usually caused by excessive consumption.
She said death was likely to have occurred because Mr Edgar-Moore’s painkiller reduction meant he was less tolerant to the combination of drug levels in his body.
The coroner said: “I don’t think for one moment he wanted to take his own life. Regrettably, he has just been a victim of a sequence of events. He had some control over them, that’s not to say he could possibly know what the outcome would have been.”
She added: “It was simply an accidental death. It wasn’t planned. It was just one of those things that nobody wanted the consequences and the outcome.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Exmouth Journal. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.