Exeter Airport set to apply for £8million business rates relief
- Credit: Archant
Regional airports including Exeter Airport will be able to apply for dedicated financial support after a campaign by East Devon MP Simon Jupp.
The new support package for regional airports in England will provide business rates relief and cover fixed costs up to £8 million per airport.
The scheme will open for applications in January and follows calls by East Devon MP Simon Jupp to help secure financial support to protect the future of Exeter Airport.
The announcement comes as the Government unveils a new testing strategy to reduce the self-isolation period by at least a week. From December 15th, passengers arriving into England from countries not featured on the Government’s travel corridor list will have the option to pay for a test after 5 days of self-isolation, with a negative result releasing them from the need to isolate.
Simon Jupp, MP for East Devon, said: “I warmly welcome the decision by Government to provide business rates relief for regional airports. I raised my concerns with the Prime Minister and Chancellor after passenger numbers at Exeter Airport dropped by 95% and they recognised the need to support our airport.
You may also want to watch:
“Together with the new testing regime, the government is providing much needed support to help protect jobs and connectivity provided by Exeter Airport.”
A spokesperson for Exeter Airport, said: “The measures announced today (MOnday, November 23) will provide much-needed support and we will continue to lobby hard and work with Government on what other steps can be taken to safeguard the UK’s regional airports.”
- 1 CLOSING - Exmouth's HSBC branch to shut later this year
- 2 An art of glass has always proved popular at auction - Piers Motley
- 3 The positive vibe from volunteering is truly uplifting
- 4 Exmouth goes underground – designer creates town tube map
- 5 Smiles of hope as care home residents and staff receive their first vaccine
- 6 Look to the future to find the key to motivation
- 7 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 8 New year, new partnerships and opportunity - Laura Woodward-Drake
- 9 The 'frightening' contrast in dealing with defeat - Eileen Wragg
- 10 A new arrival for Christmas at the Sampson household