Euro MPs in spat over 'political correctness'
IN a row over political correctness, one of East Devon s euro MPs has hit out at his Tory counterparts, dismissing claims that the European Union is trying to ban terms like Mrs and Miss . Conservative MEPs say that the European Parliament is trying
IN a row over political correctness, one of East Devon's euro MPs has hit out at his Tory counterparts, dismissing claims that the European Union is trying to ban terms like 'Mrs' and 'Miss'.
Conservative MEPs say that the European Parliament is trying to impose political correctness - but Lib Dem MEP Graham Watson says it is nothing more than a thinly veiled attack on the European Union in the lead up to June's elections.
He said: "In fact, all that has happened is that a short paper has been produced to guide the parliament's officials and translators who have to write documents for people from 27 different countries.
"It says that women and men should be treated equally. It should not be assumed that every airplane pilot is a man. It suggests that the word 'manager' not 'manageress' should be used when describing women with the job, 'nurse' not 'male nurse' when describing men."
You may also want to watch:
He said that one sentence he noted that had not been quoted reads: "a woman's own wishes as to how she would like to be addressed should be respected."
He added: "My advice to Conservatives fighting the elections in June is to stop distorting the truth about how the EU works, and stop treating people like fools.
- 1 CLOSING - Exmouth's HSBC branch to shut later this year
- 2 An art of glass has always proved popular at auction - Piers Motley
- 3 The 'frightening' contrast in dealing with defeat - Eileen Wragg
- 4 The positive vibe from volunteering is truly uplifting
- 5 Smiles of hope as care home residents and staff receive their first vaccine
- 6 Exmouth goes underground – designer creates town tube map
- 7 A new arrival for Christmas at the Sampson household
- 8 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 9 New year, new partnerships and opportunity - Laura Woodward-Drake
- 10 Reduced timetables for trains on Avocet Line, GWR announces