Euro MPs in spat over 'political correctness'
IN a row over political correctness, one of East Devon s euro MPs has hit out at his Tory counterparts, dismissing claims that the European Union is trying to ban terms like Mrs and Miss . Conservative MEPs say that the European Parliament is trying
IN a row over political correctness, one of East Devon's euro MPs has hit out at his Tory counterparts, dismissing claims that the European Union is trying to ban terms like 'Mrs' and 'Miss'.
Conservative MEPs say that the European Parliament is trying to impose political correctness - but Lib Dem MEP Graham Watson says it is nothing more than a thinly veiled attack on the European Union in the lead up to June's elections.
He said: "In fact, all that has happened is that a short paper has been produced to guide the parliament's officials and translators who have to write documents for people from 27 different countries.
"It says that women and men should be treated equally. It should not be assumed that every airplane pilot is a man. It suggests that the word 'manager' not 'manageress' should be used when describing women with the job, 'nurse' not 'male nurse' when describing men."
He said that one sentence he noted that had not been quoted reads: "a woman's own wishes as to how she would like to be addressed should be respected."
He added: "My advice to Conservatives fighting the elections in June is to stop distorting the truth about how the EU works, and stop treating people like fools.
- 1 Exeter man guilty of threatening police officer on Exmouth seafront
- 2 Plans for new town - and THOUSANDS of new homes - in East Devon revealed
- 3 Body of teenager found on beach in Exmouth
- 4 Brixington Blues weather the storm to blow away Broadclyst
- 5 Grants for energy efficiency improvements available for residents
- 6 Ex-tree-mely good response to Rotary saplings giveaway in Exmouth
- 7 Four great attractions to visit prior to Christmas
- 8 Theatre group returns with 9 to 5 musical magic
- 9 Exmouth gears up for its Winter Festival
- 10 When are Royal Mail's last posting dates for Christmas 2021?