Euro MP blasts green bid
EAST Devon s former chairman of the European energy committee, Giles Chichester, has ridiculed former Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott for trying to emulate Al Gore and become a global eco-warrior.
EAST Devon's former chairman of the European energy committee, Giles Chichester, has ridiculed former Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott for trying to emulate Al Gore and become a global 'eco-warrior.'
Mr Chichester, a Conservative Euro MP from West Hill, said that Mr Prescott has ambitions to emulate former Democrat Vice President Al Gore by getting Britain to cut carbon dioxide emissions by 40 per cent.
The former deputy premier is campaigning that Britain reject European policy for a 20 per cent cut in greenhouse gases in the lead up of the Copenhagen Climate Change Conference in December.
Mr Chichester said: "...it seems that every Tom, Dick and John has set out to prove their green credentials.
You may also want to watch:
"This is a ridiculously unrealistic target which, if it were to be implemented, could send Britain into an even deeper economic recession.
"Over 60 per cent of planning applications for wind turbine farms have failed because of public protest but Prescott is determined to overcome what he describes as "nimbyism".
- 1 Recommendation for consultation on extending public space order for Exmouth to its beach
- 2 Exmouth and Budleigh councillor retain county seats in 2021 elections
- 3 A busy start to May for Exmouth Harriers
- 4 Premises licence for Mikey’s Berach Bar granted – but opening hours cut
- 5 Turf cutting marks start of work on college’s new £13.5m building
- 6 Looking forward to rediscovering the magic of the theatre
- 7 Recruitment evening for Exmouth’s Air Cadets squadron
- 8 Exmouth’s Imperial Hotel set to reopen
- 9 Accountancy firm and comedy workshop company sponsoring business awards
- 10 Covid-19 vaccination programme in Devon enters next phase
"He is working to persuade the Government to pass legislation to make every local authority identify a site for a windfarm.
"Apparently Prescott is visiting schools in an attempt to persuade children to actively counter their parents' opposition to plans for wind turbines in their area.