Esplanade Clock tower concerns
THE inscription on the Esplanade s famous clock tower is fading – and the district council can t afford to replace it.
THE inscription on the Esplanade's famous clock tower is fading - and the district council can't afford to replace it.
That is the claim of the president of Exmouth's Civic Society, custodians of the town's heritage.
Peter Higgins said: "Property services (at the district council)...acknowledged that those clock towers must be...among (their)...responsibilities, however... (they said they have no)...budget for any work.
"(Their)...response was to suggest that Exmouth Town Council may be prepared to pay for the maintenance.
You may also want to watch:
"As president of the civic society and as a guide of our historic Exmouth heritage walks I find this indifference to this part of our heritage disappointing to say the least."
Councillors at the town hall's general purposes committee on Monday will debate the issue.
- 1 Premises licence for Mikey’s Berach Bar granted – but opening hours cut
- 2 Exmouth’s Imperial Hotel set to reopen
- 3 New attractions and vendors as Queen’s Drive Space gets ready for summer
- 4 Exmouth folk and visitors love their coffee!
- 5 Junior rugby returns after a year of frustration
- 6 Budleigh Music Festival announces return line-up
- 7 Former Exmouth and Budleigh officer nominated for lifetime achievement award
- 8 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 9 Exmouth candidates gear up for county council elections
- 10 ‘Pay what you can’ at Open Door Community Café