Esplanade Clock tower concerns
THE inscription on the Esplanade s famous clock tower is fading – and the district council can t afford to replace it.
THE inscription on the Esplanade's famous clock tower is fading - and the district council can't afford to replace it.
That is the claim of the president of Exmouth's Civic Society, custodians of the town's heritage.
Peter Higgins said: "Property services (at the district council)...acknowledged that those clock towers must be...among (their)...responsibilities, however... (they said they have no)...budget for any work.
"(Their)...response was to suggest that Exmouth Town Council may be prepared to pay for the maintenance.
You may also want to watch:
"As president of the civic society and as a guide of our historic Exmouth heritage walks I find this indifference to this part of our heritage disappointing to say the least."
Councillors at the town hall's general purposes committee on Monday will debate the issue.
- 1 Council spending on temporary housing soars as crisis grows
- 2 Are you ready to play hotel's Game of Stones?
- 3 Judges and lawyers pay tribute to 'simply the best' Anna
- 4 Man left with serious injures after crash on Woodbury Common
- 5 Councillors call for a U-turn on universal credit £20 decision
- 6 Exmouth Harriers pounding the roads of York and Portsmouth
- 7 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 8 Exe Raid Regatta on Exmouth water
- 9 Property supply continues to be an issue as we approach the end of the year
- 10 Concept of 'live local' more important than ever in housing crisis