Esplanade Clock tower concerns
THE inscription on the Esplanade s famous clock tower is fading – and the district council can t afford to replace it.
THE inscription on the Esplanade's famous clock tower is fading - and the district council can't afford to replace it.
That is the claim of the president of Exmouth's Civic Society, custodians of the town's heritage.
Peter Higgins said: "Property services (at the district council)...acknowledged that those clock towers must be...among (their)...responsibilities, however... (they said they have no)...budget for any work.
"(Their)...response was to suggest that Exmouth Town Council may be prepared to pay for the maintenance.
You may also want to watch:
"As president of the civic society and as a guide of our historic Exmouth heritage walks I find this indifference to this part of our heritage disappointing to say the least."
Councillors at the town hall's general purposes committee on Monday will debate the issue.
- 1 Exmouth road extension backed in parliament
- 2 Bouncing back with our Library of Things
- 3 Exmouth local set to brave the shave for friend Simon
- 4 Exmouth Parkrun is back with a bang
- 5 East Devon MP humbled by care home visit
- 6 Western League opener for Exmouth Town
- 7 Delay in Exmouth murder trial announced
- 8 TV presenter Josie makes a splash at holiday park
- 9 Remembering the golden age of Exmouth
- 10 MP and councillors call for rethink on plan for cycle lane