Young rugby players triumph
Young rugby players from Exmouth Community College are celebrating after becoming under-16 county champions.
The youngsters won the coveted trophy after beating Kingsbridge in the final, which was played under lights at Paignton Rugby Club.
Kingsbridge had won the tournament for the previous two years, but the college side prevented a hat trick, with an exciting 15-14 victory.
The college side had qualified for the final after beating King’s School Ottery, QE Crediton and Exeter School in early rounds, and recording a hard-fought 7-0 victory over last year’s finalists, Okehampton, in the semi-final.
College key stage three PE co-ordinator, Stuart Lowe, said: “The final turned out to be an excellent game of rugby. The lead changed hands five times, but a superb defensive performance from the full squad, and massive commitment from all the players ensured their success.
You may also want to watch:
“This is a massive achievement for the students and is a just reward for the efforts they have shown, particularly this year leading up to the final.
“A massive thank you must go to Exmouth Rugby Club and Withycombe Rugby Club for the support they give the college with rugby.”
- 1 There are some hard truths we need to accept about the pandemic
- 2 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 3 Exmouth goes underground – designer creates town tube map
- 4 Smiles of hope as care home residents and staff receive their first vaccine
- 5 Reduced timetables for trains on Avocet Line, GWR announces
- 6 Stunning sunrise and sunset entries submitted for joint chamber contest
- 7 Police warning over fake Covid-19 vaccine texts scam
- 8 New year, new partnerships and opportunity - Laura Woodward-Drake
- 9 Budleigh Coronavirus Community Lifelines
- 10 'we're here to help' Budleigh Covid Support Group ready for action
The college’s squad for the tournament was as follows: George Toomey (Captain), Matt Harris, Charlie Gibbins, Nathan Fowler, Connor O Shauhneessy, Ollie Dawe, Connor Gilby, Jake Gilbody, William Irving, Sam Conway, Owen Flynn, Joe Willey, Matt Wells, Jake Gillham, Dan Bradford Jones, Ben Hocking, Harry Griffen, Josh Julef, Jason Ianniiello, Jevon Burns, Jos Urmstan, Chris Skinner, Brandon Perry, Callum Board-Lynch.