Young rugby players triumph
Young rugby players from Exmouth Community College are celebrating after becoming under-16 county champions.
The youngsters won the coveted trophy after beating Kingsbridge in the final, which was played under lights at Paignton Rugby Club.
Kingsbridge had won the tournament for the previous two years, but the college side prevented a hat trick, with an exciting 15-14 victory.
The college side had qualified for the final after beating King’s School Ottery, QE Crediton and Exeter School in early rounds, and recording a hard-fought 7-0 victory over last year’s finalists, Okehampton, in the semi-final.
College key stage three PE co-ordinator, Stuart Lowe, said: “The final turned out to be an excellent game of rugby. The lead changed hands five times, but a superb defensive performance from the full squad, and massive commitment from all the players ensured their success.
You may also want to watch:
“This is a massive achievement for the students and is a just reward for the efforts they have shown, particularly this year leading up to the final.
“A massive thank you must go to Exmouth Rugby Club and Withycombe Rugby Club for the support they give the college with rugby.”
- 1 LED venues set out plans for reopening on roadmap out of lockdown
- 2 Youngsters thriving in outdoor environment
- 3 Climate Conversation programme for Exmouth and Honiton
- 4 Body of girl, 13, found on Exmouth beach
- 5 Lympstone relocation for Lawoofs Devon
- 6 Wild fire warning after camp fire remnants found at Bystock
- 7 Work continues on seafront sensory garden
- 8 Lifetime membership for Exmouth in Bloom’s 100th ‘friend’
- 9 Booktrack success for Fraya, 10
- 10 Budleigh Male Voice Choir resuming in-person rehearsals
The college’s squad for the tournament was as follows: George Toomey (Captain), Matt Harris, Charlie Gibbins, Nathan Fowler, Connor O Shauhneessy, Ollie Dawe, Connor Gilby, Jake Gilbody, William Irving, Sam Conway, Owen Flynn, Joe Willey, Matt Wells, Jake Gillham, Dan Bradford Jones, Ben Hocking, Harry Griffen, Josh Julef, Jason Ianniiello, Jevon Burns, Jos Urmstan, Chris Skinner, Brandon Perry, Callum Board-Lynch.