Young gardeners top of the class
- Credit: Archant
Green-fingered school children have been rewarded for their efforts, after picking up prizes in Exmouth in Bloom’s local gardens competition.
In the category for best school garden, sponsored by Kings Garden and Leisure, Bassetts Farm Primary School came first, winning the Caroline Brook Cup and £100 of Kings vouchers, and Marpool Primary School came second, winning £25 of vouchers.
Both schools also received a box of gardening goodies.
Bassetts Farm also won the best wildlife garden category, sponsored by Birds and Bees, receiving the Garth Gibson Cup, another £25 of Kings vouchers and wildlife gardening items. When asked what had impressed the judges, Exmouth in Bloom chairman Ann Wheeler said: “Both schools have a garden that children use as an outdoor classroom, which features in all different parts of the curriculum, and they have a gardening club where children weed, water, pick and eat produce. The judges were impressed by the involvement of the children, and the fact they were learning from them, and learning gardening skills, so that when they grow up they will be able to grow something.
“The judges were also impressed by their enthusiasm, as the schools wrote a list of what they grow, and it was quite long through the year.”
You may also want to watch:
“They are learning also about wildlife, as the gardens bring in insects.”
- 1 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 2 ‘Thank you, I've got my Winnie back’ - man’s relief after dog collapsed on the seafront
- 3 Road works start to enhance access to Exeter and East Devon Enterprise Zone
- 4 New Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine being rolled out in Devon
- 5 Rotarian laptops and tablets appeal for home schooling
- 6 Jon Sopel event boosts St Peters’ Chromebook appeal
- 7 ‘He’s a natural’ - landscape designer Jacob’s Oxford College success
- 8 Dragon Patchers will continue to keep Devon's potholes filled
- 9 Mental health nurse turned patient gearing up for sponsored walk to fund book
- 10 Former Exmouth school volunteer recognised with marine conservation award