Typhoon survivor Keith in school funding appeal
- Credit: Archant
Typhoon Haiyan survivor Keith Wakefield is appealing for funds to secure the future of his language school, having passed 100 days since it was devastated by the storm.
Keith, who lived in Exmouth until six years ago, has previously told of how he and his Filipino family survived the destructive typhoon at their home on the island of Leyte in November, and thanked Exmothians for sending support.
Now, he is appealing for help to secure the future of the English Language Academy, which he runs in the city of Tacloban.
He said: “The school is not doing so good because the front of the building that the school is housed in is still not repaired and is all boarded up, so it is not good for business.
“I have managed to find a building that was not damaged by the typhoon that would be perfect for the school to revive and prosper.
You may also want to watch:
“The only problem is that, because the school is the only source of income, I do not have the advance rent and deposit necessary to be able to move to the new building.
“If there is anyone there in Exmouth who can lend me £1,000 to make this possible, once the school is back up and running fully, I can pay back the money with interest.”
- 1 Do you know who owns the Magnolia clock?
- 2 CLOSING - Exmouth's HSBC branch to shut later this year
- 3 Changes made to Exmouth bus route following national lockdown
- 4 Sports-related projects set for £300,000 developer cash boost
- 5 'Use any quotation you like, there is a huge problem' - Anthony Bernard
- 6 Budleigh café steps in to provide school lunch parcels
- 7 Reverend Steve Jones - Finding a Quiet Space
- 8 The 'frightening' contrast in dealing with defeat - Eileen Wragg
- 9 Budleigh football facing a moral dilemma
- 10 Lets use money from cancelled holidays to help those in need - Anthony Bernard
Keith says his school has helped hundreds of Filipinos to improve their lives, with one of his former students, Miriam Angeli Bayaya, a nurse, being chosen to show David Beckham around the area during a recent visit.
To contact Keith, email email@example.com