Swimathon raises cash for pool revamp
- Credit: Archant
Swimmers from Budleigh have taken to the water to raise money for a new roof at St Peter’s School swimming pool.
The Warm Wish group is trying to raise more than £30,000 to put a new roof on the pool, with the existing one falling into disrepair.
To support this appeal, the St Peter’s School Association (SPSA) led by Ruth Cheesman and Jenny Wood organised, in collaboration with Warm Wish, a Super Swimathon at Exmouth Leisure Centre.
More than 80 children and adults from Budleigh and East Budleigh put on their swimming costumes, and between them during the entire event, swam 1650 lengths, measuring 41,250 metres, or more than 25 miles, more than enough to cross the English Channel.
SPSA’s Donna Hitchcock said: “There was a great community atmosphere with lots of cheering and encouragement from the side lines and enjoyment had by all.”
You may also want to watch:
The event was well supported by local businesses, with Andrew Mills Surveyors, Cavanna Homes, Clark Heating, Crealy, GD Construction, Ian Crook Wealth Management and Palmers Funeral Services all providing sponsorship.
So far, the event has raised more than £2,800, but more is still needed, and donations are still being collected at www.justgiving.com/superswimathon.
- 1 Man left with serious injures after crash on Woodbury Common
- 2 Tributes to man who saw town's marina through transition
- 3 Much-loved public parks given the green flag
- 4 Covid support team thanks community for generous help
- 5 Shortage of applicants lifts starting salaries
- 6 Wins for East Budleigh and the Robinettes
- 7 Judges and lawyers pay tribute to 'simply the best' Anna
- 8 Better broadband rollout will deliver speeds you'd expect
- 9 Lifeboat crew plan bumper fireworks display fundraiser
- 10 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon