Swimathon raises cash for pool revamp
- Credit: Archant
Swimmers from Budleigh have taken to the water to raise money for a new roof at St Peter’s School swimming pool.
The Warm Wish group is trying to raise more than £30,000 to put a new roof on the pool, with the existing one falling into disrepair.
To support this appeal, the St Peter’s School Association (SPSA) led by Ruth Cheesman and Jenny Wood organised, in collaboration with Warm Wish, a Super Swimathon at Exmouth Leisure Centre.
More than 80 children and adults from Budleigh and East Budleigh put on their swimming costumes, and between them during the entire event, swam 1650 lengths, measuring 41,250 metres, or more than 25 miles, more than enough to cross the English Channel.
SPSA’s Donna Hitchcock said: “There was a great community atmosphere with lots of cheering and encouragement from the side lines and enjoyment had by all.”
You may also want to watch:
The event was well supported by local businesses, with Andrew Mills Surveyors, Cavanna Homes, Clark Heating, Crealy, GD Construction, Ian Crook Wealth Management and Palmers Funeral Services all providing sponsorship.
So far, the event has raised more than £2,800, but more is still needed, and donations are still being collected at www.justgiving.com/superswimathon.
- 1 Family pride for Kayleigh the Chief
- 2 New recycling centre permit scheme to kerb commercial dumping
- 3 Hospiscare thanks to businesses who raised £14,500
- 4 Couple walking from Exmouth to Swanage in memory of Pippa
- 5 Words of respect and dignity honoured Adrian
- 6 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 7 Chamber inundated with snaps of Exmouth and Budleigh at sunrise and sunset
- 8 Food Drink Devon opens entries for 2021 awards
- 9 Do you know who owns the Magnolia clock?
- 10 Changes made to Exmouth bus route following national lockdown