Students get top tips on careers in film and TV
- Credit: Archant
An Emmy-award winning TV writer and a top film producer have given some inspirational advice to students at Exmouth Community College.
Youngsters studying film and media and English heard from David Quantick, who recently won an Emmy for his work on American TV network HBO’s series Veep, and Michael Knowles, whose latest film The Messenger is in cinemas now.
David, a former Exmouth Community College pupil, has enjoyed success in a variety of areas throughout his writing career, and he and Michael offered invaluable advice for students hoping to pursue careers in TV and film.
College film and media teacher John Panton, who has also worked with David and Michael on short films for the community film collective Meat Bingo, said: “David advised students on how to establish a career in writing. He delivered a witty and inspirational overview of his career, highlighting the ways in which students can start developing their writing skills during their time in post-16.
“He spoke candidly about the realities of writing for a variety of programmes, including Harry Hill’s TV Burp, The Rob Brydon Show, The Thick of It and Veep.
You may also want to watch:
“Michael gave the students a brilliant understanding of what it means to be a film producer and how to access the industry, urging the students to make the most of the fantastic opportunities and creative freedom they have while at college.
“Michael also had pertinent advice from a financial perspective, also urging students to consider the business side of the film industry.”
- 1 Stunning displays for this year's Britain in Bloom awards
- 2 Former pupil returns with inspiration after success in Paralympic Games
- 3 Creative thinking will connect artists across East Devon
- 4 Delay in Exmouth murder trial announced
- 5 Remembering the golden age of Exmouth
- 6 Bouncing back with our Library of Things
- 7 County council leader re-elected as voice for South West
- 8 Budleigh Hub makes gearchange to Seachange
- 9 TV presenter Josie makes a splash at holiday park
- 10 MP and councillors call for rethink on plan for cycle lane