Pupils win Westminster trip with film competition
- Credit: Archant
Three pupils from Otterton C of E Primary School have enjoyed a tour of the Houses of Parliament after winning a national film-making competition.
Year six pupils Douglas Aitken, 10, Sam Pyne, 11, and Harry Shipton, 10, entered the “Lights, Camera, Parliament” competition run by the UK Parliamentary Education Service.
This asked the pupils to create a film based on the question “What law would you make?”
The boys decided that in their film they would argue that wearing a cycle helmet should be compulsory.
To do this they researched cycle accident statistics and interviewed a victim of a bike crash and a doctor at the A&E department of the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital.
They created their three minute film by incorporating clips of their interviews alongside their own drama of two bike accidents – one with the rider wearing a helmet and one without.
To their delight, the boys’ film was voted the best primary school entry in the country, and for their prize they got to go to Westminster for a tour of the Houses of Parliament, some workshops, and a special screening of their film.
- 1 Full line-up announced for Exmouth Festival
- 2 'Goth girl' Scarlett plans Dartmoor trek for charity
- 3 Big Breakfast fundraiser starts Budleigh Gala Week
- 4 'Report graffiti and vandalism', police urge Budleigh residents
- 5 Exeter Chiefs looking to get better of Bristol Bears, again and again!
- 6 Body found in search for missing man
- 7 I spent an afternoon with the Devon Air Ambulance
- 8 Witness appeal after Exmouth assault
- 9 Exmouth coast watch recruit three newbies
- 10 From meat in supermarkets to beer in pubs - what is getting more expensive?
The boys will each receive a film-makers’ kit, which the school will also receive, and the “Lights, Camera, Parliament” trophy.
Year six teacher Deborah Evans said: “I am absolutely thrilled with the boys’ success. They worked so hard to produce a thought-provoking film and get their message across.
“They honestly believe this is a law which should be made and hope that their film will go some way to raising awareness about the importance of wearing a helmet when out on a scooter or bike.”
To see the boys’ winning film, log on to https://www.makewav.es/lcp