Otterton School medals from World Cup linesman
Young footballers from Otterton Primary School have been given lessons in fair play from a World Cup final linesman.
Mike Mullarkey was part of the team of English officials who refereed last year’s final in South Africa between Spain and the Netherlands.
He also ran the line in last year’s UEFA Champions League final between Bayern Munich and Inter Milan, and has been one of the top Premier League officials for several years.
Mike, who lives in Exeter, visited the school to present its under-11 football squad with their trophy for being the top small school team in the East Devon League.
He also showed the children his World Cup medal and the medal presented to him for officiating in the 2010 World Cup Final, as well as the actual ball used in the match between Brazil and Chile.
You may also want to watch:
Retiring head teacher Pat Fowler said: “The children were absolutely thrilled with the visit, and I’d like to thank Di Lee (pictured top left) for arranging this and for the great encouragement and support she has given the children over the years.”
- 1 CLOSING - Exmouth's HSBC branch to shut later this year
- 2 An art of glass has always proved popular at auction - Piers Motley
- 3 The 'frightening' contrast in dealing with defeat - Eileen Wragg
- 4 The positive vibe from volunteering is truly uplifting
- 5 Smiles of hope as care home residents and staff receive their first vaccine
- 6 Exmouth goes underground – designer creates town tube map
- 7 A new arrival for Christmas at the Sampson household
- 8 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 9 New year, new partnerships and opportunity - Laura Woodward-Drake
- 10 Reduced timetables for trains on Avocet Line, GWR announces