Otterton School medals from World Cup linesman
Young footballers from Otterton Primary School have been given lessons in fair play from a World Cup final linesman.
Mike Mullarkey was part of the team of English officials who refereed last year’s final in South Africa between Spain and the Netherlands.
He also ran the line in last year’s UEFA Champions League final between Bayern Munich and Inter Milan, and has been one of the top Premier League officials for several years.
Mike, who lives in Exeter, visited the school to present its under-11 football squad with their trophy for being the top small school team in the East Devon League.
He also showed the children his World Cup medal and the medal presented to him for officiating in the 2010 World Cup Final, as well as the actual ball used in the match between Brazil and Chile.
You may also want to watch:
Retiring head teacher Pat Fowler said: “The children were absolutely thrilled with the visit, and I’d like to thank Di Lee (pictured top left) for arranging this and for the great encouragement and support she has given the children over the years.”
- 1 Judges and lawyers pay tribute to 'simply the best' Anna
- 2 Man left with serious injures after crash on Woodbury Common
- 3 Property supply continues to be an issue as we approach the end of the year
- 4 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 5 John and Grace run for the heart
- 6 Tributes to man who saw town's marina through transition
- 7 Blooming marvellous for Madeira bowls
- 8 Lifeboat crew plan bumper fireworks display fundraiser
- 9 Early detection increases chances of successful treatment
- 10 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon