Orcombe Point makeover plans revealed
THE first designs to enhance the gateway to the Jurassic Coast at Orcombe Point have been unveiled.
Devon County Council and visitor attraction specialists Bright 3D have teamed up to improve the area, which represents the start of the 95-mile geological ‘walk through time’ and England’s only natural World Heritage Site.
The drawings, released this week, show six ‘interpretational elements’ of the proposal.
They include improvements to the zig-zag path leading to the cliff-top from the seafront, with a display integrated into the stone wall underneath what was formerly the Orcombe Point caf�, and resurfacing of the path.
Integrated Jurassic Coast-themed displays, hard-standings and information boards are also dotted along the path up to the cliff line.
You may also want to watch:
The aim is to make the site, which is of great geological and ecological significance, more accessible to visitors and enable full appreciation of the natural asset.
The preliminary drawings also show bollards cordoning off the end of Queens Drive from traffic.
- 1 Exmouth goes underground – designer creates town tube map
- 2 Reduced timetables for trains on Avocet Line, GWR announces
- 3 Police warning over fake Covid-19 vaccine texts scam
- 4 Stunning sunrise and sunset entries submitted for joint chamber contest
- 5 Budleigh Coronavirus Community Lifelines
- 6 Smiles of hope as care home residents and staff receive their first vaccine
- 7 There's light at the end of the tunnel - but for now embrace lockdown life
- 8 'we're here to help' Budleigh Covid Support Group ready for action
- 9 Temporary seafront attractions to remain in place for the summer
- 10 There are some hard truths we need to accept about the pandemic
The area, which is currently a roundabout, has been transformed into a circular piazza enclosed by new wooden seating, similar to the new Strand development, and a ‘landscaped feature’, temporarily re-using existing banners
Although the county council are at pains to say that these are only preliminary drawings and could be subject to change, they follow a consultation event held last month at the town hall.