New £80,000 target for improving school’s pool
- Credit: Archant
The swimming pool at St Peter’s Primary School could be transformed, after ambitious fundraisers announced they were doubling their target.
The Warm Wish group, which raises money for the pool, announced in late 2013 that it wanted to raise £40,000 to replace the polytunnel which covers the pool, which was no longer fit for purpose.
The group achieved this target, with support from businesses, individuals and the community, and buoyed by its success, it is now hoping to increase its cash pot to £80,000.
For this sum, the pool could have a much larger structure, which would also be capable of housing a toilet, shower, male and female changing facilities and an alternative entrance.
Warm Wish committee member Gary Dobel said: “If we get it, it’s going to be amazing. We have got a seaside on our doorstep and swimming is a life skill that children need to have.
“We also get other schools in the area using the facility, and if we get these improvements, it will be even better.”
Gary says the improvements could allow more local schools to use the pool, and will also improve it for community swimming.
- 1 Body of teenager found on beach in Exmouth
- 2 Man in court over alleged 'threat' to Exmouth police officer
- 3 How Devon's current Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 4 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 5 Harrier Amanda racing in the Chichester Harbour Trail
- 6 Exmouth humbled in the wind and rain at Millbrook
- 7 Property of the Week: The Square, Branscombe
- 8 Decisions on future of our seafront must include a voice for all
- 9 Church group sends boxes of gifts to Moldova Christmas appeal
- 10 Leisure centre team offers support for refugees in Exmouth
The proposed new changing facilities could also be used by pupils taking part in PE lessons.
The school is currently in the process of applying for planning permission for the new structure, which is expected to take eight weeks.
If successful, it hopes the construction work will take place this summer.
? Anyone who might be able to support the Warm Wish appeal, or would like more information, can contact the group by emailing email@example.com