New £80,000 target for improving school’s pool
- Credit: Archant
The swimming pool at St Peter’s Primary School could be transformed, after ambitious fundraisers announced they were doubling their target.
The Warm Wish group, which raises money for the pool, announced in late 2013 that it wanted to raise £40,000 to replace the polytunnel which covers the pool, which was no longer fit for purpose.
The group achieved this target, with support from businesses, individuals and the community, and buoyed by its success, it is now hoping to increase its cash pot to £80,000.
For this sum, the pool could have a much larger structure, which would also be capable of housing a toilet, shower, male and female changing facilities and an alternative entrance.
Warm Wish committee member Gary Dobel said: “If we get it, it’s going to be amazing. We have got a seaside on our doorstep and swimming is a life skill that children need to have.
You may also want to watch:
“We also get other schools in the area using the facility, and if we get these improvements, it will be even better.”
Gary says the improvements could allow more local schools to use the pool, and will also improve it for community swimming.
- 1 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 2 Exmouth goes underground – designer creates town tube map
- 3 There are some hard truths we need to accept about the pandemic
- 4 A new arrival for Christmas at the Sampson household
- 5 Smiles of hope as care home residents and staff receive their first vaccine
- 6 New year, new partnerships and opportunity - Laura Woodward-Drake
- 7 The positive vibe from volunteering is truly uplifting
- 8 Stunning sunrise and sunset entries submitted for joint chamber contest
- 9 Reduced timetables for trains on Avocet Line, GWR announces
- 10 Police warning over fake Covid-19 vaccine texts scam
The proposed new changing facilities could also be used by pupils taking part in PE lessons.
The school is currently in the process of applying for planning permission for the new structure, which is expected to take eight weeks.
If successful, it hopes the construction work will take place this summer.
? Anyone who might be able to support the Warm Wish appeal, or would like more information, can contact the group by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org