New £80,000 target for improving school’s pool
- Credit: Archant
The swimming pool at St Peter’s Primary School could be transformed, after ambitious fundraisers announced they were doubling their target.
The Warm Wish group, which raises money for the pool, announced in late 2013 that it wanted to raise £40,000 to replace the polytunnel which covers the pool, which was no longer fit for purpose.
The group achieved this target, with support from businesses, individuals and the community, and buoyed by its success, it is now hoping to increase its cash pot to £80,000.
For this sum, the pool could have a much larger structure, which would also be capable of housing a toilet, shower, male and female changing facilities and an alternative entrance.
Warm Wish committee member Gary Dobel said: “If we get it, it’s going to be amazing. We have got a seaside on our doorstep and swimming is a life skill that children need to have.
You may also want to watch:
“We also get other schools in the area using the facility, and if we get these improvements, it will be even better.”
Gary says the improvements could allow more local schools to use the pool, and will also improve it for community swimming.
- 1 Exmouth bodybuilder became cocaine dealer after devastating bike crash
- 2 Mayor breaks ground at new Topsham retirement development
- 3 New recruits to help keep a safe watch over Exmouth coast
- 4 Exmouth road extension backed in parliament
- 5 Be on your guard against toxic hogweed
- 6 Property of the Week: Wolversleigh Farm
- 7 Corporate insolvencies at third highest since start of pandemic
- 8 Bouncing back with our Library of Things
- 9 Budleigh's community workshop is proud of its heritage
- 10 Delay in Exmouth murder trial announced
The proposed new changing facilities could also be used by pupils taking part in PE lessons.
The school is currently in the process of applying for planning permission for the new structure, which is expected to take eight weeks.
If successful, it hopes the construction work will take place this summer.
? Anyone who might be able to support the Warm Wish appeal, or would like more information, can contact the group by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org