MP opens pub shop
- Credit: Archant
The new Knowle Village Shop has been officially opened by East Devon MP Hugo Swire.
The shop has been opened in a spare room of the Britannia Inn by licensees Jeff White and Kate Knight.
It was achieved with £4,000 of funding from Pub is The Hub’s community services fund, and a further £4,000 from other sources – including the ‘Making it Local’ team, an arm of DEFRA, and the East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty fund – after a petition of villagers revealed strong support for the idea.
Now open for business, the shop stocks all the daily essentials villagers might need.
Jeff said: “Since taking on the pub 18 months ago we have tried to restore the Britannia back to the heart of the community. The shop is an extension of that service, as well as an outlet for local suppliers.
“None of this would have been possible without the support and financial help from Pub is The Hub and their community services fund.”
Joining Mr Swire at the opening were local dignitaries including Budleigh mayor Steve Hall, county councillor Christine Channon, and East Devon District Council leader Paul Diviani.
- 1 Morning dip at Budleigh gets ‘seal’ of approval
- 2 Budleigh gift shop named among region's best
- 3 Ladram Bay to feature in 'staycation' TV show
- 4 Exmouth’s Sarah can see ‘bigger picture’ thanks to diabetes prevention programme
- 5 Budleigh councillors 'aflush' with town loo options
- 6 Budleigh gears up for Gala Week
- 7 Jubilee Big Band concert at Exmouth Pavilion
- 8 Bailiffs instructed to evict caravans from Exmouth site ‘as soon as possible’
- 9 Full line-up announced for Exmouth Festival
- 10 Put the bunting out - East Devon gets ready for Jubilee revelry
Mr Swire said: “I have long argued that we should follow the example of countries like Ireland, where the local pubs offer more than just food and drink. This is an innovation I greatly welcome and I very much hope it will be well supported by locals and visitors alike.”