MP Hugo backs college sports pitch revamp
- Credit: Archant
East Devon MP Hugo Swire has added his backing to the new sports facility which is coming to Exmouth Community College.
As reported in last week’s Journal, the college has secured a £75,000 grant from Sport England towards a £150,000 refurbishment of its small artificial pitch, with the balance coming from LED and college funds.
Mr Swire found out more about the scheme while visiting a training session of the college’s Exmouth Raptors American football programme, which will be one of the main beneficiaries of the project.
He said: “I am delighted that funding has been obtained to provide a revamped pitch. I am sure that this improved facility will help popularise the sport [of American football] and benefit greatly the whole local community.”
The refurbishment will see new, hi-tech floodlighting fitted to the pitch, with a new 3G surface.
As well as college students, the pitch will also be open to members of the community through LED.
In the meantime, the college is still hoping to raise an additional £65,000 for the pitch to be extended.
- 1 Exeter cargo plane deemed 'beyond economical repair'
- 2 Bailiffs instructed to evict caravans from Exmouth site ‘as soon as possible’
- 3 Full line-up announced for Exmouth Festival
- 4 Gang responsible for bringing a kilo of drugs into Devon jailed for 23 years
- 5 Ladram Bay to feature in 'staycation' TV show
- 6 Exmouth launderette donating duvet charge to Save the Children
- 7 Aviation industry is key to realising dream of a highly-skilled South West
- 8 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 9 Budleigh Lions support town's new community larder
- 10 Exmouth talking newspaper hold first meeting since pandemic
Any businesses or benefactors who might be able to help with this are asked to email email@example.com.