Minister praises college’s ‘vision’
Secretary of State for Education Michael Gove MP praised Bicton College as he officially opened its new Environmental and Renewable Technologies Hub (EaRTH).
In his speech to over 200 visitors, he congratulated the college on its ‘beautifully designed and flawlessly executed’ project.
The Secretary of State for Education’s visit was a welcome chance for staff, students, employers and suppliers to show exactly why vocational qualifications are so important in the changing landscape of work and careers.
David Henley, principal of Bicton College, welcomed the minister and showed him around before Mr Gove was invited to finish the turned wood and scorched plaque made from a monkey puzzle tree grown in the grounds depicting the Bicton EaRTH logo.
Mr Gove had been invited to East Devon by local MP, the Right Hon Hugo Swire.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Gove said: “Some people may think of this part of the South West as sleepy, which is absolute rubbish as I have been today to the most visionary educational establishment - Bicton College.
“A new generation will now be able to look to the future as stewards of the countryside, guardians of our environment and contributors to our economy, thanks to the visionary team here at Bicton ... who are looking towards the next century with the same degree of confidence and the same aura of success that has marked out everything Bicton has achieved over the last generation.”
- 1 Exmouth goes underground – designer creates town tube map
- 2 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 3 A new arrival for Christmas at the Sampson household
- 4 Smiles of hope as care home residents and staff receive their first vaccine
- 5 The positive vibe from volunteering is truly uplifting
- 6 There are some hard truths we need to accept about the pandemic
- 7 New year, new partnerships and opportunity - Laura Woodward-Drake
- 8 Reduced timetables for trains on Avocet Line, GWR announces
- 9 Stunning sunrise and sunset entries submitted for joint chamber contest
- 10 Look to the future to find the key to motivation