Michael Gove praises “wonderful” community college
The Secretary of State for Education has visited Exmouth Community College and described it as “a wonderful school”.
Michael Gove MP visited the college, which was granted academy status last year, as part of a series of visits to schools and colleges in East Devon with local MP Hugo Swire.
Mr Gove addressed students at an assembly, before visiting various classes, the Green Close library, the sports hall and fitness suites, the college’s Happy Days nursery, and the post-16 building.
During his tour of the college, Mr Gove was keen to engage with students, and the last part of his visit included spending time with a group of nine students representing all age groups at the college, including three who have been offered Oxbridge places.
He concluded his tour by meeting members of the college’s governing body, where he was presented with a book about Exmouth. He also accepted an invitation to sign the college visitors’ book.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Gove said: “This is a wonderful school with a great headteacher and delightful students – a pleasure to visit and a credit to state education.”
College principal Tony Alexander said: “I am pleased Mr Gove has come here to see what can be achieved in a fully comprehensive school. Our students were the best advert for our approach – they were working hard, behaved well, were polite and looked smart.”
- 1 There are some hard truths we need to accept about the pandemic
- 2 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 3 Exmouth goes underground – designer creates town tube map
- 4 Smiles of hope as care home residents and staff receive their first vaccine
- 5 Stunning sunrise and sunset entries submitted for joint chamber contest
- 6 Reduced timetables for trains on Avocet Line, GWR announces
- 7 Police warning over fake Covid-19 vaccine texts scam
- 8 New year, new partnerships and opportunity - Laura Woodward-Drake
- 9 Budleigh Coronavirus Community Lifelines
- 10 Community thanked for help in setting up rapid testing centre at college