Drakes School pupils celebrate new library
Pupils from Drakes Primary School, in East Budleigh, are celebrating their much-awaited new school library, which was officially opened by children’s author Kathryn White.
Drakes Primary School youngsters are celebrating the completion of their much-wanted new library.
Last year the school ploughed its efforts into raising more than �4000 to pay for a non-fiction library to boost the school’s curriculum.
Last week the school’s pupils, staff and parents celebrated the success of their hard work when the new library, with 440 new books, was unveiled.
The new library was officially opened by children’s author Kathryn White, wsho spent time working with each class.
Kathryn, author of Ruby’s School Walk, said: “It’s so wonderful to see a school with a dedicated space for books and not see them pushed to one side by the computers.”
The new library also boasts state-of-the-art equipment, thanks to the school securing a government grant.
- 1 Chiefs' rebranding dignifies the club and city
- 2 Plans for new town - and THOUSANDS of new homes - in East Devon revealed
- 3 Denley's wins top restaurant accolade at Asian Curry Awards
- 4 Designated drivers offered free drinks this Christmas
- 5 Exeter man guilty of threatening police officer on Exmouth seafront
- 6 Theatre group returns with 9 to 5 musical magic
- 7 Awesome Aaron earns Exmouth win with a worldie
- 8 Support your local traders in late-night shopping event
- 9 Round-Britain paddleboarder to address Budleigh Probus Club
- 10 East Devon football results
Drakes School headteacher Carron Saunders said the latest equipment meant pupils could take ownership and responsibility of the library.
She said: We have a strong emphasis on reading and writing at Drake’s and we expect the enhanced library will have huge benefits for the children from helping them to take increased responsibility for management of the space and books, to inspiring learning through a greater range of reading material.
“We are truly thrilled with the results and want to thank everyone, particularly Sarah Timms, the rest of the PTFA and everyone who put their precious time, effort and finances towards making it happen.”
Mrs Saunders also thanked Mrs Tait and the sixth year librarians.