Double boost for school
Topsham School has received a double boost after opening a new extension and receiving a county award.
The new extension cost more than �100,000, and has been built to expand the school’s foundation unit, which caters for children aged three to five years old.
The new unit means that the school can double its intake of foundation children from 13 to 26.
The school has also received a badge from Devon County Council to mark the success of its work with its existing foundation children.
The new extension was officially opened by council chairman Jeremy Yabsley, along with Topsham councillor Andrew Leadbetter.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Yabsley also presented the school’s Foundation Stage badge to head teacher Claire Browne.
Ms Browne said: “In the past, we have had to turn some parents away, but, with the new extension we now look forward to being able to welcome more children. I am particularly pleased we have been awarded the badge, as it is an acknowledgement of the fantastic work done by the team in the foundation stage unit.”
- 1 Changes to polling stations for upcoming elections
- 2 As we look forward to a more normal life, what will your 'legacy hand' be?
- 3 Work to begin on plan to protect ‘jewel in Exmouth’s crown’
- 4 Flowers blooming at All Saints for Easter
- 5 Plans for Beacon land to be used by hotel thrown out
- 6 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
- 7 Dreams and nightmares at the Grand National
- 8 Lympstone brothers raise funds and awareness as part of National Autism Week
- 9 Exmouth Hospiscare centre gets cash boost from Freemasons
- 10 School’s bid to turn Budleigh into ‘town of sunflowers’
The school’s vice-chair of governors, Dr Keir Bovis, said: “Since its opening, the foundation stage unit has fulfilled its aim in being an important starting point in a child’s education.
“The governing body would like to thank all the staff of The Topsham School for their continuing dedication to the delivery of a high standard of early years’ education, as recognised by today’s badging ceremony.”