Community sports boost after Cranford Club grant
- Credit: Archant
Youngsters and sportspeople in Exmouth are taking advantage of some great new facilities thanks to a grant from Sport England.
The £28,500 grant has enabled Cranford Sports Club to turn two disused tennis courts into a purpose-built netball court, which can also be used for school PE activities.
The club is currently in partnership with Otterton, Drakes and Withycombe primary schools for sport, and will now also be hosting Exmouth Community College’s netball fixtures.
The club also has its own netball league team, the Cranford Cougars, which will use the court, with more than 50 ladies and girls involved.
Cranford manager John Flinn, who points out that the club is an open community club, not a private members’ club, said: “Exmouth has had a netball league for 25 years but never had a home or anywhere to play other than school playgrounds and the tennis centre.
You may also want to watch:
“We teamed up with Netball England and Active Devon last year and set up the team, got lots of people playing, and on the back of that there was a chance to put this bid in.
“We have more than 150 primary school children every week coming to the club, which has never happened before, and we have got netball coaching up and running and a team entering the league and playing.
- 1 Man left with serious injures after crash on Woodbury Common
- 2 Judges and lawyers pay tribute to 'simply the best' Anna
- 3 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 4 Property supply continues to be an issue as we approach the end of the year
- 5 Tributes to man who saw town's marina through transition
- 6 Lifeboat crew plan bumper fireworks display fundraiser
- 7 John and Grace run for the heart
- 8 Early detection increases chances of successful treatment
- 9 Who blinked first? A defining moment in humanity's existence
- 10 Blooming marvellous for Madeira bowls
“I would like to recognise the support we have had from Netball England, Active Devon and Exmouth Community College in securing this funding. Hopefully this cooperation will encourage others to support bigger projects in the town – especially the fantastic [sport and athletics ground] project at Exmouth Community College.”
Sport England property director Charles Johnston said: “It’s great to see the Cranford Sports Club join the long list of successful clubs to benefit from the Inspired Facilities Fund.”