Community sports boost after Cranford Club grant
- Credit: Archant
Youngsters and sportspeople in Exmouth are taking advantage of some great new facilities thanks to a grant from Sport England.
The £28,500 grant has enabled Cranford Sports Club to turn two disused tennis courts into a purpose-built netball court, which can also be used for school PE activities.
The club is currently in partnership with Otterton, Drakes and Withycombe primary schools for sport, and will now also be hosting Exmouth Community College’s netball fixtures.
The club also has its own netball league team, the Cranford Cougars, which will use the court, with more than 50 ladies and girls involved.
Cranford manager John Flinn, who points out that the club is an open community club, not a private members’ club, said: “Exmouth has had a netball league for 25 years but never had a home or anywhere to play other than school playgrounds and the tennis centre.
You may also want to watch:
“We teamed up with Netball England and Active Devon last year and set up the team, got lots of people playing, and on the back of that there was a chance to put this bid in.
“We have more than 150 primary school children every week coming to the club, which has never happened before, and we have got netball coaching up and running and a team entering the league and playing.
- 1 Exmouth goes underground – designer creates town tube map
- 2 Police warning over fake Covid-19 vaccine texts scam
- 3 Smiles of hope as care home residents and staff receive their first vaccine
- 4 'we're here to help' Budleigh Covid Support Group ready for action
- 5 Budleigh Coronavirus Community Lifelines
- 6 ‘We’re here to help’ - eMAG’s volunteers ready to help during latest lockdown
- 7 Put the kettle on to support your local hospice
- 8 Exeter City Community Trust stepping up again
- 9 Temporary seafront attractions to remain in place for the summer
- 10 Exmouth man get Royal recognition for services to marines charity
“I would like to recognise the support we have had from Netball England, Active Devon and Exmouth Community College in securing this funding. Hopefully this cooperation will encourage others to support bigger projects in the town – especially the fantastic [sport and athletics ground] project at Exmouth Community College.”
Sport England property director Charles Johnston said: “It’s great to see the Cranford Sports Club join the long list of successful clubs to benefit from the Inspired Facilities Fund.”