Chloe on the write track with help from festival
- Credit: Archant
A talented young writer from Exmouth Community College has received a potentially life-changing opportunity.
Chloe Murrell, 17, has been awarded the first-ever writing bursary from the Budleigh Salterton Literary Festival.
It means that Chloe, of West Hill, Budleigh, will take part in a week-long residential course this summer with the internationally-renowned Arvon Foundation at its Totleigh Barton base in North Devon.
Chloe, who studies English language and literature at A level, as well as philosophy and history, said that becoming an author was her ‘life-long dream’, and added: “Reading widely across the genres and styles is something I make an effort to do, and I have come to enjoy literary novels such as Susan Hill’s alongside contemporary ones – a particular favourite being Nick Hornby.”
David Marston of the festival’s education group said Chloe’s ‘outstanding’ application had left the judges ‘deeply impressed’.
You may also want to watch:
He added: “Chloe’s obvious and sincere passion for reading and writing is something worth nurturing and we hope that this, our inaugural bursary, will help.
“This course should provide a wonderful opportunity for Chloe to develop her writing and we hope it helps sow seeds for a fruitful literary career.”
- 1 Changes to polling stations for upcoming elections
- 2 Work to begin on plan to protect ‘jewel in Exmouth’s crown’
- 3 As we look forward to a more normal life, what will your 'legacy hand' be?
- 4 Plans for Beacon land to be used by hotel thrown out
- 5 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
- 6 Lympstone brothers raise funds and awareness as part of National Autism Week
- 7 Dreams and nightmares at the Grand National
- 8 Flowers blooming at All Saints for Easter
- 9 Exmouth Hospiscare centre gets cash boost from Freemasons
- 10 School’s bid to turn Budleigh into ‘town of sunflowers’
The Arvon Foundation is a national arts charity which aims to encourage creative writing.
This year’s Budleigh Salterton Literary Festival will run from September 17 to September 20.